|Traded as||NASDAQ: CSGP|
Russell 1000 Index Component
|Industry||Technology, Commercial property|
|United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain|
|Andrew C. Florance, President & CEO|
Scott T. Wheeler, CFO
Michael R. Klein, Chairman
|Revenue||$1.2 billion (2018)|
|$238 million (2018)|
|Total assets||$3.313 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$3.022 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
CoStar Group was founded in 1987 by Andrew Florance in Washington, D.C.
In October 2009, the company acquired a building in Washington, D.C., now its headquarters, from the Mortgage Bankers Association for $41.3 million. The building had sold 2 years earlier for $79 million and the company claims it used its analytics data to know the right time to buy.
In April 2014, the company acquired Apartments.com for $585 million.
In April 2015, the company acquired Apartment Finder for $170 million.
In February 2017, the company acquired Westside Rentals.
In February 2018, the company acquired ForRent.com from Dominion Enterprises for $350 million in cash and $35 million in stock.
In November 2018, the company acquired Cozy Services for $68 million.
In February 2019, the company announced that Oxford Economics will provide the economic data and forecasts used in CoStar’s products.
- "CoStar Group, Inc. 2017 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Crunchbase: CoStar Group". TechCrunch.
- Hagerty, James R. (February 6, 2010). "Mortgage Bankers Association Sells Headquarters at Big Loss". The Wall Street Journal.
- Sernovitz, Daniel J. (April 30, 2012). "CoStar Group completes LoopNet deal". American City Business Journals.
- "CoStar Completes LoopNet Acquisition". National Real Estate Investor. May 1, 2012.
- O'Connell, Jonathan (March 3, 2014). "CoStar Group buys Apartments.com for $585 million". The Washington Post.
- "CoStar Group to Acquire Apartment Finder to Expand Its Network of Industry Leading Apartment Marketing Websites" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. April 29, 2015.
- Ellingson, Annlee (February 2, 2017). "Westside Rentals finds new home at Apartments.com". American City Business Journals.
- Neibauer, Michael (February 20, 2018). "Growing CoStar to close its latest buy, this one for nearly $400M". American City Business Journals.
- Evans, Judith (October 12, 2018). "US real estate giant CoStar buys UK commercial property portal". Financial Times.
- "CoStar Group Acquires Cozy Services Ltd., with Plans to Integrate its Innovative Renter Screening and Rent Payments Solutions into Apartments.com" (Press release). PR Newswire. November 8, 2018.
- Sweat, Meagna (February 14, 2019). "CoStar Group Announces Agreement with Oxford Economics" (Press release). Business Wire.