Coach (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Danila Kozlovsky|
|Music by||Artyom Vasilyev|
|Budget||390 million rubles (6,290,349 $)|
|Box office||586,212,058 ₽ (9,455,072.9 $)|
Coach (Russian: Тренер, translit. Trener) is a 2018 Russian sports drama film directed by and starring Danila Kozlovsky. The film premiere is planned on the 19 April 2018, before the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Danila Kozlovsky's debut project, where, in addition to the usual main role, he took on the role of director for the first time. A football drama about the star striker of the national team, who, after a loud failure, leaves the big sport. But he is not able to renounce his vocation and becomes the coach of an unknown team. While teaching it the art of defeating opponents the hero himself learns to conquer his internal breakdowns.
The forward of the Russian national team Yuri Stoleshnikov makes a mistake in an important match - he does not score a penalty. A scandal erupts, as a result of which Yuri finishes his playing career and leaves for a small town where he accepts the offer to start coaching at the local football club Meteor.
As a trainer of Meteor, Stoleshnikov will have to start believing in himself again, and rehabilitation doctor Varya will play an important role in this.
- Danila Kozlovsky as Yuri Stoleshnikov
- Olga Zueva as Varya, rehabilitologist of the team Meteor
- Irina Gorbacheva as Lara, head of the football club Meteor
- Vladimir Ilyin as Berger
- Andrey Smolyakov as Stoleshnikov's father
- Viktor Verzhbitsky as mayor
- Dmitri Sychev as Dodin
- Alan Gatagov as Petrovsky
- Mariya Lobanova as Dasha
- Pavel Vorozhtsov as Valdis
- Igor Gordin as President of FC Spartak Moscow
- Aleksandr Ilyin Jr. as mechanic
- Aleksandr Oblossov as Vitya
- Dmitrii Chebotarev as Masyanya
- Askar Ilyasov as Raf
- Dmitriy Sychyov as Dodin
- Vitaliy Andreev as Zuev
- Nikolay Samsonov as Varennikov
- Vladislav Khatazhyonkov as Zorik
- Denis Pirozhkov as physician of the team Meteor
- Yevgeny Savin as Anurov
- Georgy Cherdantsev as cameo
- Konstantin Genich as cameo
This film is the directorial and screenwriting debut of Danila Kozlovsky.
Initially Danila Kozlovsky thought that he would participate in the project only as an actor and producer. However, in the end, he also became the director of the project, as well as a co-author of the script.
Olga Zueva, who worked with Danila Kozlovsky in the film In the Hood (2018), initially asked for the role of Varya. But Danila felt that she did not fit in the style and image, and continued to look for another performer. Meanwhile, Olga Zueva reworked the script, giving the character of her character more strength, courage and a bit of eccentricity. The director positively evaluated the proposals and approved the actress for the role.
All the workers of the set were dressed in the branded jackets of the Meteor team. If the camera captured one of them when shooting, that person fit into the frame as an employee of the club.
The project was created with the support of the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation, the Russian Football Union and personally Vitaly Mutko. Also the film received financial support from the Cinema Foundation of Russia.
About three thousand professional football players auditioned for a role in the picture, from whom the creators of the project selected about 200 people. Among them were Alan Gatagov and Dmitri Sychev; the latter compared Kozlovsky with Guus Hiddink based on the results of the shooting, who combining exactingness and democracy, managed to lead the national team to bronze medals of Euro 2008. For two months, the team, assembled from athletes and professional actors, lived on a tough athletic regimen. Kozlovsky trained with them too.
The filming process continued in 2017. The training base of FC "Meteor" was shot at the Central Stadium of Novorossiysk - the home arena of FC Chernomorets. In total, six football stadiums were used in the film, including "Otkritie Arena", "Arena Khimki" and "Krasnodar Stadium".
According to the calculations of the magazine "StarHit", the cost of the crowd scenes amounted to about 5 million rubles. The production budget of the film is 390 million rubles, the projected gross - 680 million rubles.
- "Данила Козловский приступил к съемкам фильма "Тренер"". RIA Novosti.
- "Забьем! Какие фильмы снимаются к чемпионату мира по футболу 2018 года". Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
- "Съемки дебютного фильма Данилы Козловского "Тренер" завершились в Москве". TASS.
- ""Тренер": что нам известно о новом фильме Данилы Козловского". Hello!. 17 June 2017.
- "С царским размахом: на что Данила Козловский спустил 5 миллионов". StarHit. 29 June 2017.