Coastal Surge Drum and Bugle Corps
Coastal Surge logo
|Location||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina|
|Director||Matthew Shrewsbury: 2011-2014. Eric Thompson: 2014-2015|
|Uniform||(2014) Black tunic w/wave pattern|
Black "Aussie" hat w/Silver band
& blue Plume
The Coastal Surge Drum and Bugle Corps was an Open Class (formerly Divisions II & III) competitive junior drum and bugle corps. Based in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Coastal Surge performed in Drum Corps International (DCI) competitions.
Coastal Surge was founded in October 2011 by a group of people on the Atlantic Coast of South Carolina who wanted to build a drum and bugle corps that would not only provide a solid educational and entertainment program for its students but would also be financially stable over the years. After laying a foundation for the organization, the decision was made in January, 2013 to field an exhibition corps for a short tour.
Locating a viable rehearsal site after several false starts, the corps came together with a charter membership of 54 (25 brass, 19 percussion, 8 auxiliary guard, and 2 drum majors), mostly drum corps novices from South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. The initial tour of exhibition performances in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey met with favorable results for both the corps and the audiences.
After the successful short exhibition of 2013, the corps' board elected to enter DCI competition in 2014 as an Open Class corps. After an evaluation of the organization by DCI, the corps was approved for competition, and a show tour was scheduled, with the corps travelling to Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and ending at the DCI Open Class Championships in Michigan City, Indiana.
On July 22, 2015 the corps announced that they had folded due to the lack of funding.
Show Summary (2013-2015)
|2013||Into the Storm||Original music by Joshua Hinkle and Justin Mabry||Exhibitions|
|2014||A Southern Saga:
|Spangled Heavens by Donald Grantham / Gone by Scott McAllister / Final Battle (from We Were Soldiers) by Nick Glennie-Smith /
Symphony #1 by Christopher Theofanidis
|11th Open Class|
33rd World Class
|2015||Cast Into Darkness||Salvation is Created by Pavel Chesnokov / Inferno (From the Divine Comedy) by Robert W Smith / When I Am Laid in Earth by Henry Purcell /
Dies Irae (from Requiem Mass) by Giuseppe Verdi / Symphonie fantastique by Hector Berlioz
- "Coastal Surge". Drum Corps International. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "Coastal Surge, DCI's Newest Open Class corps Makes Solid Debut at Bluecoats' Pennsylvania Show". Drum Corps World. July 2013. p. 76. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "DCI.org News: Influx of Open Class corps approved to participate in 2014 DCI Tour". Drum Corps International. May 2, 2014. p. 76. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Schedule for Coastal Surge". Drum Corps World. p. 76. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Facebook & Tweets announcements". Coastal Surge Performing Arts Association. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "Song history for Coastal Surgte". Maher and Associates, Inc. Retrieved June 20, 2014.