Coatesville Area School District
|Coatesville Area School District|
545 East Lincoln Highway
|Superintendent||Dr. Cathy Taschner|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Revenue||Tax Collector - Berkheimer Tax Administrator 610-599-3143|
The Coatesville Area School District (CASD) covers the City of Coatesville, the Boroughs of Modena and South Coatesville and Caln Township, East Fallowfield Township, Sadsbury Township, Valley Township, West Brandywine Township and West Caln Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania. The district operates Coatesville Area High School (11th-12th), 9/10 Center (9th-10th), Gordon Education Center (6th-12th), North Brandywine Middle School (6th-8th), Scott Middle School(6th-8th), South Brandywine Middle School (6th-8th), Caln Elementary School CLOSING SCHEDULED (K-5th), East Fallowfield Elementary School CLOSING SCHEDULED (K-5th), Friendship Elementary School CLOSED June 7, 2018(K-5th), King's Highway Elementary School (K-5th), Rainbow Elementary School (K-5th) and Reeceville Elementary School (K-5th).
In August 2013, district superintendent Richard Como and athletics director Jim Donato left their jobs following the discovery of racist text messages on their district-provided mobile phones. Both were arrested in 2014 on charges of theft and state ethics violations. Donato pleaded guilty in June, 2016 with an agreement to pay restitution to the district for the $15,000 he admitted stealing. March 18, 2018 Chester County Common Pleas Judge Thomas G. Gavin sentenced Richard Wallace Como to a jail term in Chester County Prison of three to 23 months, followed by three years of probation, on the charges that he was found guilty of at trial in January – dealing in unlawful proceeds, theft by unlawful taking, theft by failure to make required disposition of funds, and conflict of interest.
Dr. Angelo Romaniello Jr. had been appointed acting superintendent following Como's departure, following which Dr. Cathy Taschner was voted in by the board in a 7-2 vote for a 5 year contract running July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2022.
- "Master Facility Planning" (PDF). June 27, 2017.
- Readers may find offensive. "WARNING Readers may find offensive: Transcript Excerpt Copies".
- Aubrey Whelan and Michaelle Bond (September 23, 2013). "Coatesville parents demand firing of officials over racist texts". The Inquirer. Philadelphia. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Bender, William (September 23, 2013). "Racial epithets litter text messages of Coatesville school officials". Daily News. Philadelphia. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- Williams, Mary Elizabeth (September 24, 2013). "A school official's unbelievably racist texts". Salon. Salon.com. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- Bond, Michaelle. "Coatesville shakes up school district staff after scandal". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- "Como Sentenced to Prison". March 16, 2018.
- "Taschner Voted In". August 27, 2017.
- Conlon, Kevin; Botelho, Greg (May 7, 2014). "DA: First-grader brings his grandmother's heroin to school". CNN.com. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Coatesville Area School District
- May 19, 2018: http://www.southernchestercountyweeklies.com/20180519/municipal-officials-lawmakers-urge-re-evaluation-of-planned-massive-coatesville-tax-hike-vote-set-may-29
- March 16, 2018 http://www.pottsmerc.com/general-news/20180316/ex-superintendent-como-sentenced-to-prison-for-theft-of-school-funds
- June 27, 2017 https://www.casdschools.org/cms/lib/PA01916452/Centricity/Domain/1580/Master%20Facility%20Planning%2062717.pdf
- May 26, 2016 https://lancasteronline.com/news/pennsylvania/report-coatesville-school-a-war-zone-with-numerous-fights-each/article_3c29c002-2377-11e6-9301-836970ead9ce.html