2.6.11 / January 23, 2016
|License||GNU General Public License|
Cobbler is a Linux provisioning server that facilitates and automates the network-based system installation of multiple computer operating systems from a central point using services such as DHCP, TFTP, and DNS. It can be configured for PXE, reinstallations, and virtualized guests using Xen, KVM or VMware. Cobbler interacts with the
koan program for re-installation and virtualization support.
koan and Cobbler use libvirt to integrate with different virtualization software. Cobbler is able to manage complex network scenarios like bridging on a bonded Ethernet link.
Cobbler has features to dynamically change the information contained in a kickstart template (definition), either by passing variables called ksmeta or by using so-called snippets. An example for a ksmeta variable could be the name of a disk device in the system. This could be inherited from the system's Cobbler profile. Snippets can be dynamic Python code that expands the limited functionality of Anaconda. The combination of profiles, ksmeta and snippets gives Cobbler high flexibility; complexity is avoided by keeping the actual "code" in the snippets, of which there can be one for each task in an installation. There are examples for network setup or disk partitioning; keeping common code in snippets helps minimize the size of the kickstart files.
Cobbler originally targeted and packaged for RPM-based installs via Kickstart and Anaconda, and was previously hosted as part of the Fedora Project. From Jan 19, 2011 Cobbler has been packaged for Ubuntu. Since 2012 Canonical Ltd has used Cobbler for test automation of OpenStack on Ubuntu.
- "Cobbler pieces together mass Red Hat Linux installations". The Register. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- "Ease Network Deployments with Cobbler". Enterprise Networking Planet. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "cobbler". Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Cobbler Accepted Into Ubuntu Archive". Linux Pro Magazine. 2011-01-19. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Automating Openstack Testing on Ubuntu". 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Product Documentation > Red Hat Network Satellite > 5.4: Cobbler". Red Hat.
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|