|Town and Commune|
Location of the Cobquecura commune in the Biobío Region
|• Alcalde||Julio Manuel Fuentes Alarcón (PRSD)|
|• Total||570.3 km2 (220.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||124 m (407 ft)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||8.8/km2 (23/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||country 56 + city 42|
|Website||Municipality of Cobquecura|
Cobquecura is a town and commune (Spanish: comuna) in the Ñuble Province of Chile's eighth region of Biobío (VIII Región de Biobío). The town is located on the northwest Pacific coast of the Ñuble Province about 420 km (261 mi) southwest of the national capital of Santiago.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Cobquecura spans an area of 570.3 km2 (220 sq mi) and has 5,687 inhabitants (3,032 men and 2,655 women). Of these, 1,493 (26.3%) lived in urban areas and 4,194 (73.7%) in rural areas. Between the 1992 and 2002 censuses, the population fell by 9.1% (570 persons).
As a commune, Cobquecura is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Julio Manuel Fuentes Alarcón (PRSD).The municipal council has the following members:
- Luis Enrique Rodríguez Alarcón (PS)
- Lautaro Igor Millanao Mora (PDC)
- Guillermo Salgado Contreras (ILF)
- Jacqueline Elizabeth Pacheco Alacón (RN)
- Temistocle Vera Irribarra (PRSD)
- Jose Pedro Cifuentes Crisostomo (RN)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Cobquecura is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Jorge Sabag (PDC) and Frank Sauerbaum (RN) as part of the 42nd electoral district, (together with San Fabián, Ñiquén, San Carlos, San Nicolás, Ninhue, Quirihue, Treguaco, Portezuelo, Coelemu, Ránquil, Quillón, Bulnes, Cabrero and Yumbel). The commune is represented in the Senate by Alejandro Navarro Brain (MAS) and Hosain Sabag Castillo (PDC) as part of the 12th senatorial constituency (Biobío-Cordillera).
- (Spanish) "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades". Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- (Spanish) "Municipality of Cobquecura". Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- (Spanish) Municipality of Cobquecura