Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
|Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island|
|Created by||Sammy Oriti & Don Oriolo|
|Written by||Ray DeLaurentis & William Schifrin|
|Directed by||Matt Danner & Michael Hack|
Tracey Moore (first two episodes)
Britt McKillip (rest of series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Producer(s)||Aaron Simpson & Margaret Dean|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original channel||Kids' WB|
|Original release||September 17, 2005– May 27, 2006|
Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island (or simply Coconut Fred) is a Saturday morning children's show that aired on Kids' WB in the United States, from September 17, 2005 to May 27, 2006. The show was produced by Warner Bros. Animation.
Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island takes place on an island inhabited exclusively by fruit. The residents enjoy their own tropical paradise without a care in the world; they must share their peaceful utopia with the joyfully strange Coconut Fred, a whimsical, blissfully foolish coconut with the special ability to materialize anything he thinks about. The plot revolves around the adventures of Fred and his friends, as his boundless imagination springs to life while his friends struggle to cover up the collateral.
- Coconut Fred (voiced by Rob Paulsen): A happy-go-lucky coconut with a strange imagination. Fred has the special ability to turn whatever he imagines into reality. He can often be heard with his trademark catchphrases "Yay me!" and "Now You're Talking, Coconut!" In the episode "The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records" he had the record for attempting the most records in a single day. In the episode "Sir Nutalot", Fred was dressed up as Cloud Strife with the Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII. He was also a superhero called Captain Nut in "Captain Nut and the Power Fruits". His powers were Laser Pinky-Can when he can shoot a small laser at any objects and destroy them, except for the arch-villain; Blendar, and can also help grapes tan (and turn into raisins). Super Magnet Powers acts as a magnetic field to any metal objects. It even has a full power setting to attract bigger objects. The power can't find hidden pennies. Super Strength makes Captain Nut pick up any object. He can lift up a plastic table, Mr. Greenrind's sand castle cabana, and even Fruit Salad Island. The power has little to no effect on killing fruit flies. Sea Telepathy to Animals of the Sea-Can Speak to sea creatures for help. Captain Nut usually talks to a dolphin named Larry.
- Bingo Cherry (voiced by Tracey Moore for the first two episodes and by Britt McKillip for the remainder of the series): A shy and timid cherry. Bingo usually hangs out with Fred, Slip and Slide, and Bunga Berry. Bingo is easily terrified, something that Fred doesn't know and usually provokes. It is implied he has a crush on Melanie Greenrind in the episode, A Cold Day on Fruit Salad Island. In the episode, "The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records", he has the record for fearing the most things in the world. In the episode "Sir Nutalot", Bingo was dressed up as Navi from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. He was also a Power Fruit super hero of Coconut Fred as Captain Nut. He was a Power Fruit in "Captain Nut and the Power Fruits". His powers were two Shapeshifting powers: Pool Toy Power where he can shape-shift into a small pool toy, can also act as a life preservor in and out of water. It can save lives, but pops when landing. Corn Dog Power where he can shape into a magic, talking, tasty corn dog, and can hide from people and others, but can mistakenly as a real corn dog.
- Slip & Slide D'Peel (both voiced by Eric Bauza): 'Country' banana brothers. They are less intelligent than the rest of the cast, and often take things a little too seriously. There is no clear way of telling them apart unless Fred or another character identifies just one of them. They're in a band with Fred called "Coconut Fred's All-Body Sound Band", and their music consists mainly of bodily sounds (burping, rude armpit noises, gargling, etc.). In the episode, "The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records" they had the record for the biggest tin foil ball. In the episode "Sir Nutalot", they were dressed up as the Mario Brothers. They were also superheroes of Captain Nut or Coconut Fred. They were both Power Fruits in "Captain Nut and the Power Fruits". Slide's powers were Mashed Potato Vision-Can shoot a mashed potato beam out of the eyes, the beam is very edible to eat, can also shoot other foods out of the eyes, green beans, yams, and even a roasted turkey. The Power can't harm Blendar. Slip's power is Auto Tying Shoes Power-Can help tying someone's or owners shoe automatically, sometimes the power make a copy of the user and ties the shoes, and other times the power can automatically tie the shoes.
- Mr. Mel Greenrind (voiced by Michael Donovan): A watermelon. Most commonly assisted by Bingo, Mr. Greenrind routinely attempts to keep everything and everyone in order on the island with his chart of rules known as the squeaky board. A lot of the rules on the squeaky board are really nonsensical, but all of which can be applied to Coconut Fred and his friends. Fred has a tendency to get on Mr. Greenrind's nerves, and sometimes stress him out from all of his antics, though as the series progresses, he was able to show friendliness towards Fred (which usually wouldn't last long). In the episode "Sir Nutalot", he was dressed up as Princess Peach who was supposed to marry Butchy. He was also a parody of Donkey Kong in the same episode during the supposed Bonus Level. In the episode, "The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records" he had the record for using the most sunblock.
- Wedgie (aka) Lemon Wedge (voiced by Brian Drummond): A lemon who works as a sailor. He ended up on Fruit Salad Island due to Fred's intervention. Wedgie spends a great deal of time talking to "Betty", the wooden figurehead. He often fabricates plans to escape from the island, all of which are foiled by Fred's antics, either directly or indirectly. In the episode "Sir Nutalot", he was dressed up as Pauline of Donkey Kong in the supposed Bonus Level.
- Bunga Berry (Voiced by David Kaye): A mute wild strawberry. Bunga communicates exclusively in grunts and growls. Despite this, everyone is still able to understand what he is saying (at least Fred does), and is docile enough to interact with other islanders calmly.
- Butchy (voiced by Eric Bauza): A gravenstein apple. He is well known as the island's troublemaking bully. He once frightened Bingo, except Fred. In the episode "Sir Nutalot", he was dressed up as Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, and ironically he does the same position that the character Mario does when dies. In that episode several allusions to Sephiroth include the armor and hair style Butchy was wearing, the castle resembling Midgar, and a giant flaming apple above Butchy's castle which resembles a meteor.
- Black Berry: Butchy's secretary. As his name describes, he's a blackberry. Butchy keeps him in his pocket. A parody of the BlackBerry Personal digital assistant.
- Tiffany Pears (voiced by Britt McKillip): A famous singer on Fruit Salad Island. Everybody likes her music except for Mr. Greenrind. In the episode "The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records" she had the record for most off-key singer to be ever to perform in public. It was also her last appearance on the show (except for the title song along with B.L. Tomato and Rusty Candoo). Her name is a parody of Britney Spears
- B.L. Tomato: An outcast tomato that is trying to find out if he's a fruit or a vegetable (although, a tomato is actually a fruit). In "Captain Nut and the Power Fruits", he joined Blendar, Captain Nut's arch-enemy, and turned to the dark side with a new name, the Tomatonator. After the episode, he never appeared again (except for the title song).
- Rusty Candoo: Fred's friend. He's a can of fruit. His only appearances are the title song and the episodes: "Hocus Pocus Lack of Focus and Amuse-Otel". After Amuse-Otel, he never appeared again (except still for the title song and a cameo in "Fred Rules").
- Slurpy (voiced by Eddie Deezen): A fruit bat who is bent on eating Fruit Salad Island inhabitants. He is afraid of the light.
- Melanie Greenrind (voiced by Maria Bamford): Mr. Greenrind's perky niece. She likes to enforce rules even more than her uncle, and carries around a very noisy chalkboard.
- Vic the Alien: An alien from Loft Lost 57 in the Sasaft Quadrant in the depths of other space. After mistaken as a tourist to Fred and the island, he was actually planning to invade in the island with his spaceship fleet, but because of Fred and his friends playing in his ship and almost destroying them by going into black holes and ramming into asteroids, he aborted the invasion and Fred crashed the ship into Mr. Greenrind's sand castle cabana. They all survived the crash. This was the first and last appearance of Vick on the show. The episode, he was in was "Turn On Your Nut Light".
- Mrs. Plumcott (voiced by Kathleen Barr): The token little old plum lady of the island. She hates Mr. Greenrind. Her favorite line is, "Oh dear."
- Dr. Bartlett (voiced by Tabitha St. Germain): Dr. Bartlett is a dentist on Fruit Salad Island. He'd go to the dentist everyday if they'd let him. He kept asking the receptionist if he could be squeezed in for an appointment, and every time said no, and he got lots of free lolipops.
The show has received mixed reviews. Some have praised the animation and creativity, but has been criticized for its often physical humor. Joly Herman of Common Sense Media posted a review of Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island on Go.com. The review describes the show as "the TV equivalent of sugary cereal, and nothing more", and proceeded to give the show two stars out of five.
- No News is Good News / Master of Disaster - September 17, 2005
- Hocus Pocus Lack of Focus / Amuse Otel - September 24, 2005
- Fruit Canal / Lemon Overboard - October 1, 2005
- Fred Rules! / Monster Island - October 8, 2005
- A Bad Case Of The Fruitcups / Fruity Booty - October 29, 2005
- Nutcase / One Bad Apple - November 5, 2005
- Bananas For Golf / Fruitball Heroes - November 12, 2005
- A Cold Day On Fruit Salad Island / Five Nuts and a Baby - November 19, 2005
- Banana Cabana / Coconut Freds - November 26, 2005
- Captain Nut and the Power Fruits / Part 1 and 2 - May 6, 2006
- Monkey Business / Sir Nutalot - May 13, 2006
- One Fruit's Trash is Another Fruit's Treasure / Turn on Your Nut Light - May 20, 2006
- The Ripley Van Ripend Book of World Records / Frozen in Time (series finale) - May 27, 2006
Awards and nominations
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island|
- Official website
- Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island at the Internet Movie Database
- Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island at TV.com