|Genres||Pop folk, folk, pop rock|
|Past members||Morgane Imbeaud|
Cocoon is a French pop-folk band from Occitania (France) that sings in English. It was created in 2006 by Mark Daumail (born 6 December 1984), alongside Morgane Imbeaud. They released the albums My Friends all Died in a Plane Crash in 2007 and Where the Oceans End in 2017, which were defined by dual lead vocals from both, and by its coupling of mostly upbeat-sounding music and very dark lyrics.
Cocoon entered a hiatus in 2012. Daumail then tried to reunite with Imbeaud, but she was busy with other projects and feelt that the new songs were Daumail's but not hers, and encouraged him to make the next album alone. The album, Welcome Home, was released in 2016.
The band's first album, My Friends all Died in a Plane Crash, was released on 22 October 2007. It proved to be an international commercial and critical success selling over 150,000 copies and certified platinum in France.
After their first album, Cocoon released the live CD/DVD, Back to Panda Mountains, on 7 September 2009. Following the release of a live CD/DVD, they went on a world tour, dubbed the "Baby Panda Tour".
In 2012, Cocoon entered a hiatus, due to the duo being tired after touring extensively, and wanting to focus on other projects.
During this hiatus, Daumail started to write songs while at the hospital, during he and his family's stay due to his son being born with cardiac problems. He soon realized that those songs were made for Coon, and contacted Imbeaud for a reunion. However, she was busy with other projects; she insisted that Daumail would do the new album without her, as its themes were more personal for him. He decided not to replace her by another female singer, and made the album as a sole member.
The album, Welcome Home, featuring Matthew E. White and Natalie Prass, was released in 2016 to similar commercial and critical success.
- I Hate Birds (2006)
- From Panda Mountains (2007)
- "On My Way" September 2007
- "Chupee" November 2008
- "Owls" (live version) October 2009
- "Comets" September 2010
- "Oh My God" January 2011
- "American Boy" May 2011
- "I Can't Wait" June 2016
- Back to Panda Mountains (2009)
- Anissa Boumachouene, "Cocoon - The Band that is going high", Brain Magazine, 11 June 2007.
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Cocoon". AllMusic. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- Ecrit jeu 22 juil 2010 8:07 CEST par Voxpop Music in VoxPop. "COCOON: "Difficile de choisir son camp!" - VoxPop". New.fr.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- My Friends All Died In A Plane Crash, Cocoon critique Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- "La folk féérique de Cocoon de retour en tournée fin 2010 - Musique - 06/09/2010". leParisien.fr. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- Critical review of Where the oceans end (Spanish)