Cod Beck Reservoir
|Cod Beck Reservoir|
|Primary inflows||Cod Beck|
|Primary outflows||Cod Beck|
|Basin countries||United Kingdom|
|Surface area||10 ha (25 acres)|
|Water volume||115,000 m3 (25,000,000 imp gal; 93 acre·ft)|
Cod Beck Reservoir is a man-made lake situated within the North York Moors National Park and near the village of Osmotherley in the English county of North Yorkshire. The reservoir is named after Cod Beck, which is the small river that fills it.
The building of the reservoir was started in 1948 with final completion in 1953. The dam head height is listed as being 24.4 m (80 ft) and an old pit at Crathorne was re-opened in 1950 to supply clay to line the dam head.
The reservoir is surrounded by woodland and just upstream is the local beauty spot called Sheepwash. Because of its position at the north of the North York Moors, the site attracts many visitors from Darlington and Teesside.
Cod Beck Reservoir is open to the public for walking and enjoyment of the countryside but campfires, camping, illegal raves, fishing and swimming are prohibited for public safety.
Cod Beck Reservoir is recognised as being important to toads. Common Toads hibernate on the moorland and have been subject to death on the road that runs alongside the reservoir. Volunteers go out on mild wet nights in February for a two to four week period to rescue the toads. Yorkshire Water have similarly said that they will only release water in drought conditions if it is of benefit to the environment downstream to alleviate the plight of the toads.
- Picnic area
- Car park nearby
- Walking - a circular path around the reservoir provides a 45-minute walk
- Private canoeing
- "Cod Beck Reservoir". British Lakes. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Cod Beck Reservoir". BBC Domesday Reloaded. 1986. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Wilkinson, George (21 November 2009). "Osmotherley". Malton Gazette & Herald. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Frost, D.V. (1998). Geology of the country around Northallerton : memoir for 1:50 000 geological sheet 42 (England and Wales) (1 ed.). London: Stationery Office. p. 80. ISBN 0-11-884535-7.
- "Treatment plant to be shut". Darlington and Stockton Times. 12 October 2006. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Osmotherley and Thimbley Village Design Statement" (PDF). Osmotherley Parish Council. p. 33. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Safety first as new byelaws enforced at beauty spot". North Yorkshire Police. North Yorkshire Police. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Helping hands needed for Osmotherley Toad Patrol". North York Moors.org. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Drought Plan 2013" (PDF). Yorkshire Water. p. 29. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Giles, Nick. "Draft report on one day visit to Cod & Broad Becks," (PDF). p. 2. Retrieved 9 November 2015.