Cod Grounds Marine Park
|Cod Grounds Marine Park|
Map showing the Cod Grounds Marine Park. The area is a National Park Zone ('no take' zone).
|Area||4 km2 (1.5 sq mi)|
|Established||10 May 2007|
The Cod Grounds Marine Park (formerly known as the Cod Grounds Commonwealth Marine Reserve) is an Australian marine park located approximately 5.5 km offshore of New South Wales, near Laurieton. The marine park covers an area of 4 km2 (1.5 sq mi) and is assigned IUCN category II. It is one of 8 parks managed under the Temperate East Marine Parks Network.
- Established 2007 to protect a significant aggregation site for the critically endangered east coast population of grey nurse sharks. The area is characterised by a series of underwater pinnacles.
- Biologically important areas for the protected humpback whale, vulnerable white shark and a number of migratory seabirds.
- Examples of the ecosystems of the Central Eastern Shelf Province provincial bioregion and the Manning Shelf meso-scale bioregion.
The Marine Park was originally proclaimed on 10 May 2007 as the Cod Grounds Commonwealth Marine Reserve. The name of the reserve was later changed to Cod Grounds Marine Park on 9 October 2017.
Summary of protection zones
The following table is a summary of the zoning rules within the Cod Grounds Marine Park:
|Zone||IUCN||Activities permitted||Total area|
|Vessel transiting||Recreational fishing||Commercial fishing||Commercial aquaculture||Commercial tourism||Mining|
|National Park||II||Yes||No||No||No||excludes fishing, with approval||No||4|
|External link: Zoning and rules for the Temperate East Marine Parks Network|
- Map data: Sanctuary IUCN Ia and National Park IUCN II zones ('no take' zones) from Australian Marine Parks, (2018) Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy. CC BY 4.0. http://www.environment.gov.au/fed/catalog/search/resource/details.page?uuid=%7BCD8877F3-8C39-4A20-A53F-070FBEE5AF3C%7D
- "Way: Cod Grounds Marine Park (604614725)". OpenStreetMap. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- "Temperate East Marine Parks Network Management Plan 2018" (PDF). Parks Australia. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Cod Grounds Commonwealth Marine Reserve". environment.gov.au. © Commonwealth of Australia (CC BY 3.0 AU). Retrieved 16 August 2018.