Codasur South American Rally Championship
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Drivers' champion||Gustavo Saba|
|Co-drivers' champion||Fernando Mussano|
The FIA CODASUR Rally Championship is an international rally championship which is run by Confederacion Deportiva Automovilismo Sudamericana (CODASUR) under the auspices of the FIA and held across South America, although some events in the northern most reaches of South America compete in the NACAM Rally Championship zone rather than Codasur.
Competing rallies have generally had short and intermittent histories within the championship, although Brazil's Rally de Erechim and Uruguay's Rally del Atlantico have been in almost every championship. Host nations have kept relatively constant; Brazil and Paraguay have hosted events in every championship, Bolivia and Uruguay all bar one and Argentina has only missed two years. Chile and Peru, former regulars have not hosted events since 2009 and 2010 respectively.
Paraguayan Gustavo Saba is the most successful in Codasur history with three consecutive titles from 2011-13 and another three from 2016-18. Argentine drivers Roberto Sanchez and Raúl Martínez have each won the championship twice as has Paraguayan driver Diego Domínguez. The championship has been dominated by drivers in Group N Mitsubishis and Subarus. The region has a strong history in Group N with Urugrayan Gustavo Trelles and Argentinian Gabriel Pozzo both winning Group N in the World Rally Championships in the decade preceding the creation of the Codasur championship.
The 2015 championship took in events held in Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uruguay.
List of events
- Rally de Ca'aguazú, Paraguay (2004)
- Rally de Erechim, Brazil (2004, 2006-present)
- Rally Cochabamba, Bolivia (2004, 2008)
- Rally La Pampa, Argentina (2004)
- Rally Santiago, Chile (2004-06, 2008)
- Rally del Atlantico, Uruguay (2004, 2006-12, 2014-present)
- Rally Rio Ceballos, Argentina (2005-07)
- Rally Villarica, Paraguay (2005)
- Rally de Santa Cruz, Bolivia (2005-07, 2010, 2012-present)
- Rally Bento Gonçalves, Brazil (2005)
- Rally Huancayo, Peru (2005-10)
- Rally Concepcion, Argentina (2005-07)
- Rally de Encarnación, Paraguay (2006-09)
- Rally Rio Negro, Chile (2006)
- Rally de Ouro Branco, Brazil (2007)
- Rally Cordillera, Paraguay (2008)
- Rally de Curitiba, Brazil (2009-10)
- Rally San Luis, Argentina (2009)
- Rally Sucre, Bolivia (2009)
- Rally Pucon, Chile (2009)
- Rally Argentina (2010)
- Rally Trans Itapua, Paraguay (2010-present)
- Rally de la Yerba Mate, Argentina (2011)
- Rally de Misiones Posadas, Argentina (2012)
- Rally de Minas, Uruguay (2013-14)
- Rally Argentina Codasur (2015-present)
While competing at the 2016 Rally de Santa Cruz in Bolivia, Fernando Zuasnabar driving a Mitsubishi Evo IX came close to hitting a dog on one of the stages, a moment that was captured on video before going viral on the internet. It has been described by many as one of the most unique random moments captured in Motorsport. The dog appeared on a corner just about the same time as Zuasnabar who was preparing to make a jump as per the notes from his co-driver. Being a blind corner, the dog only came into his vicinity upon completing the bend, luckily there was a crest which he managed to jump leaving the dog underneath the elevation and ultimately unharmed.
- "CODASUR - RALLY". www.codasur.org.
- eWRC-results.com. "eWRC-results.com - rally database". eWRC-results.com.
- admin. "Gustavo Saba se consagró campeón del Rally Sudamericano CODASUR en Uruguay – CODASUR FIA".
- Rafael Vivanco (28 August 2016). "Rally de Santa Cruz Bolivia 2016 - Cuando no te toca, ni aunque te pongas!" – via YouTube.