|Private (wholly owned subsidiary)|
|Headquarters||Scotts Valley, California|
|Jim Douglas — CEO|
|Products||Delphi, JBuilder, C++ Builder, InterBase|
Number of employees
|200 est. (2006)|
CodeGear is a wholly owned division of Embarcadero Technologies. CodeGear develops software development tools such as the Delphi IDE, the programming language Delphi, and the database server InterBase. Originally a division of Borland Software Corporation, it was launched on 14 November 2006.
On 8 February 2006 Borland announced that it would seek a buyer for its IDE division and database products. During the spin-off negotiations, these divisions ("developer tools group") internally reorganized into a division called CodeGear. Eventually, five parties bid for the group. However, no bidder offered Borland "numbers that appropriately reflected the value we think is in the business," according to a conference call with Borland CEO Tod Nielsen.
Borland's 2006 annual report showed that its CodeGear IDE business had sales of US$75.7 million in 2006, which accounted for 25 percent of Borland's total revenue.
On 1 July 2008, Embarcadero Technologies announced the completed acquisition of CodeGear from Borland Software Corporation on 30 June 2008, for approximately $24.5 million.
Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. era
On 25 August 2008, Embarcadero Technologies announced the release of Delphi 2009 and C++Builder 2009.
On 28 September 2008, Embarcadero Technologies announced the release of InterBase SMP 2009.
On 1 December 2008, Embarcadero Technologies announced the general availability of CodeGear RAD Studio 2009.
- RAD Studio (including Delphi, Delphi Prism and C++Builder)
- Delphi for PHP
- Delphi Prism
- Intersimone, David (8 February 2006). "Borland plans separate company for its developer products". Retrieved 16 November 2006.
- "Borland forming CodeGear to focus exclusively on developer productivity" (Press release). Borland. 14 November 2006. Retrieved 15 November 2006.
- Havenstein, Heather (15 November 2006). "Q&A: Borland exec explains reversal on tools division sale". Computerworld. Retrieved 16 November 2006.
- Cowley, Stacy (16 November 2006). "Borland Does About-Face, Keeps Tools Group". CRN. Retrieved 14 November 2006.
- Cowley, Stacy (15 March 2007). "Borland Reports CodeGear Sales As 'CodeRage' Rally Rolls". CRN.
- Intersimone, David (7 May 2008). "Community Letter: Embarcadero Technologies agrees to acquire CodeGear from Borland". Retrieved 8 May 2008.
- "Borland Reports First Quarter 2008 Financial Results and Announces Agreement for Sale of CodeGear Unit - Company Hits Transformation Milestone, Reaffirms 2008 Revenue and Profitability Expectations for Enterprise Segment". 7 May 2008. Archived from the original on November 27, 2008.
- Bravo, Thoma (1 July 2008). "Embarcadero Technologies Closes Acquisition of CodeGear". Archived from the original on November 25, 2009. Retrieved 3 July 2008.
- "Embarcadero Goes Global with Next-Generation Delphi and C++Builder Development Tools for Windows - New tools enable ISVs and business developers to build high-performance client/server and packaged software applications that support rich user experiences worldwide". 25 August 2008.
- "Embarcadero Announces High-Performance InterBase® SMP 2009 Database for Embedded and Enterprise Applications - New security, portability, performance and uptime capabilities.". 28 September 2008.
- "Embarcadero Extends CodeGear™ RAD Studio 2009 Capabilities from Windows to .NET and Mono - RAD Studio 2009 Delivers Comprehensive Rapid Application Development for Developers and ISV.". 1 December 2008.