Type of site
|Alexa rank||2,742 (October 2015[update])|
CodePlex is an open-source project hosting website by Microsoft. It allows shared development of open-source software. CodePlex is a website where engineers and computer scientists share projects and ideas. Its features include wiki pages, source control based on Mercurial, Team Foundation Server (TFS), Subversion (also powered by TFS) or Git, discussion forums, issue tracking, project tagging, RSS support, statistics, and releases (ClickOnce-releases are also supported).
While CodePlex encompasses a wide variety of projects, including SQL Server, WPF and Windows Forms-related projects, major activities center on the .NET Framework, including ASP.NET, and Microsoft's collaboration server, SharePoint. The most prominent and used project that was born inside CodePlex, the AJAX Control Toolkit is a joint project between the community and Microsoft.
The initial beta launched in May 2006, with the official release a month later in June. A new version of the website is released every three weeks adding additional features and updates.
As of 2 January 2010, CodePlex had accumulated 13,022 projects, and on 5 March 2013, it had accumulated 32,310 projects.
Microsoft solely owns and operates CodePlex.com. The Outercurve Foundation (renamed from CodePlex Foundation in 2010) has never been directly a part of overseeing CodePlex.com; the rename was done, in part, to clear up confusion that there was a direct relationship between the two entities.
Since January 22, 2010, Mercurial distributed source control system is supported as well, and this support has been enhanced. On March 21, 2012, CodePlex announced the support of Git as a source control option.
- List of free software project directories
- Comparison of source code hosting facilities
- Runtime Intelligence Service
- "Codeplex.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Sue Karlin (2011-06-06). "Social Networks for Engineers". IEEE.org. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "The CodePlex Foundation Rebrands, Renamed Outercurve Foundation"
- "CodePlex now supporting native Mercurial". CodePlex Weblog. Microsoft. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "Associating Change sets to Releases and Displaying Mercurial Branches/Tags". CodePlex Weblog. Microsoft. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "CodePlex Mercurial Support for Forks". CodePlex Weblog. Microsoft. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "git commit –m "CodePlex now supports Git!"". CodePlex Weblog. Microsoft. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- Bright, Peter (22 March 2012). "Microsoft brings git support to its CodePlex hosting service". Ars Technica. Retrieved 23 March 2012.