Code Club is a voluntary initiative, founded in 2012, which aims to provide opportunities for children aged 9 to 13 to developing coding skills through free after-school clubs. As of November 2015, over 3,800 schools and other public venues had established a Code Club, regularly attended by an estimated 44,000 young people across the United Kingdom. The organisation has also expanded internationally, and there are now over 6,000 Code Club operating worldwide. Volunteer programmers and software developers give their time to run Code Club sessions, passing on their programming skills and mentoring the young students. Children create their own computer games, animations and websites, learning how to use technology creatively.
It has Scratch, HTML & CSS, Python and a variety of other coding languages.
Code club also provide free BBC Micro:bits to children above the age of 9.
we share a belief that it is essential that children are introduced to coding at an early age and shown how much fun it can be.
- "Raspberry Pi Foundation merges with Code Club (Wired UK)". Wired UK. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- "Code Club World – A worldwide network of coding clubs for children". www.codeclubworld.org. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- Robert Bisland (2013). "A day in the life of a Code Club volunteer". Sponsor's Blog. Postcode Anywhere.
- Angela Davis (2013). "The region's techies help to influence a 'program' for change in the classroom". Sponsor's Blog. Postcode Anywhere.
- Guy Mucklow (2013). "Kindergarten Code". Sponsor's Blog. Postcode Anywhere.
- The Guardian. "New Year honours 2016: the full list". The Guardian. The Quardian. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "The Founders Forum continues to generate innovative discussion". Wired. Conde Nast. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Afterschool 'Code Clubs' planned to teach kids programming". Wired. Conde Nast. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Code Club About". Code Club. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Code and a have a go if you think you're good enough". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Putting a Code Club in every community - Raspberry Pi". Raspberry Pi. Retrieved 2016-04-20.