Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection
|Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection|
|Hepburn||Kōdo Giasu: Fukkatsu no Rurūshu|
|Directed by||Gorō Taniguchi|
|Screenplay by||Ichirō Ōkouchi|
|Starring||Jun Fukuyama |
|Edited by||Seiji Morita|
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Japanese: コードギアス 復活のルルーシュ Hepburn: Kōdo Giasu: Fukkatsu no Rurūshu) is a 2019 Japanese anime film by Sunrise and ran in over 120 theatres. It premiered in Japan on February 9, 2019. It is based on the Code Geass anime series, with the plot taking place after the Zero Requiem arc of the recap films' universe. It is directed by Gorō Taniguchi, written by Ichirō Ōkouchi with music by Kōtarō Nakagawa and Hitomi Kuroishi, all of whom previously contributed to the TV series in the same respective roles. The film has been licensed by Funimation and it had a limited theatrical release in the United States and Canada on May 5, 2019.
A year has passed since events of the Zero Requiem, a scheme Emperor Lelouch vi Britannia formulated to end conflict with his death, with Nunnally vi Britannia ruling Britannia while aided by her bodyguard Suzaku Kururugi, who has taken the identity of Zero. Nunnally and Suzaku are in the middle of a goodwill visit to a desert nation when they are ambushed by Knightmare squad; Suzaku is easily defeated and they are abducted. The two find themselves in the custody of Shalio and Shamna, the sibling rulers of the Kingdom of Zilkhistan which has suffered from the world peace crippling their primary export: mercenary soldiers. Shamna explains their plan to use Nunnally to access the collective unconsciousness within C's World to restore Zilkhistan's political might.
Suspecting Zilkhistan's involvement, Kallen Stadtfeld, Sayoko Shinozaki, and Lloyd Asplund infiltrate the country and run into C.C. and a surviving but timid and nonverbal Lelouch. C.C. explains that, after the Zero Requiem, Shirley smuggled Lelouch's corpse to her and that she literally resurrected Lelouch from the dead by reconstructing his corpse, but that his soul, his memories and personality are trapped in the collective unconsciousness. The group launches an assault on a Zilkhistan prison, where they rescue Suzaku and discover an Aramu Gate, a portal to C's World, with C.C. using it to fully resurrect Lelouch. Lelouch once again dons the mantle of Zero and meets up with Britannian forces led by his half-sister Cornelia li Britannia and his former lieutenant Kaname Ohgi.
Lelouch's forces track Nunnally down and find her in a Zilkhistan temple. Lelouch infiltrates the temple and kills Shamna, but she activates her Geass and travels back six hours in the past, allowing her to perfectly predict Lelouch's actions. Lelouch uses his tactical prowess to deduce the mechanics of Shamna's Geass and knocks her out. He frees Nunnally, but learns that her mind has been transported into C's World. C.C. guides him into the collective unconsciousness, and he successfully rescues Nunnally. Suzaku kills Shalio in combat, destroying Shamna permanently. In the aftermath, Lelouch once again bequeaths the title of Zero to Suzaku and departs on a journey with C.C., taking the alias L.L., which according to director Taniguchi was Lelouch's idea of a marriage proposal.
The film debuted at number five with an opening weekend gross of ¥287 million in Japan. It was number six in its second weekend, with a cumulative gross of ¥530 million up until then. As of March 2019, the film has grossed more than ¥1 billion ($9 million) in Japan. Collectively, the Code Geass film franchise has grossed ¥1,899,872,257 ($17,356,785) at the Japanese box office.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection". Cineplex. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Sequel Film's Advance Ticket Bundles DVD of Film's Opening Scenes". Anime News Network. January 12, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- "Staff and Cast". Official Code Geass Website. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Funimation to Screen Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Sequel Anime Film in N. America in 2019". Anime News Network. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection: Funimation Films". Funimation Films. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection pamphlet". imgur.
- "New City Hunter, Code Geass Films Debut at #4, #5". Anime News Network. 2019-02-13. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Komatsu, Mikikazu (February 19, 2019). "Japan Box Office: City Hunter, Code Geass Drop One Position in Their 2nd Weekend". Crunchyroll. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Code Geass Producer: Re;surrection Film is 1st Phase of 10-Year Plan". Anime News Network. 5 May 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.