Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection
|Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection|
|Hepburn||Kōdo Giasu: Fukkatsu no Rurūshu|
|Directed by||Gorō Taniguchi|
|Screenplay by||Ichirō Ōkouchi|
|Starring||Jun Fukuyama |
|Edited by||Seiji Morita|
|Box office||$9 million|
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection (Japanese: コードギアス 復活のルルーシュ, Hepburn: Kōdo Giasu: Fukkatsu no Rurūshu) is a 2019 Japanese anime film by Sunrise. It premiered in Japan on February 9, 2019 and ran in over 120 theatres. Based on the Code Geass anime series, the film takes place in the alternate universe depicted in the three-part, theatrical remake series that was released between 2017 and 2018 and serves as a direct sequel to their events. It is directed by Gorō Taniguchi, written by Ichirō Ōkouchi with music by Kōtarō Nakagawa and Hitomi Kuroishi, all of whom previously contributed to the TV series in the same respective roles. The project of the film was announced on November 27, 2016, on its 10th anniversary event.
A year has passed since the events of the "Zero Requiem", a scheme Emperor Lelouch vi Britannia formulated to end conflict with his death, and Nunnally vi Britannia rules Britannia while aided by her bodyguard Suzaku Kururugi, who has taken the identity of Zero. Nunnally and Suzaku are in the middle of a goodwill visit to a desert nation when they are ambushed by a Knightmare squad; Suzaku is easily defeated and they are abducted. The two find themselves in the custody of Shalio and Shamna, the sibling rulers of the Kingdom of Zilkhistan which has suffered from the world peace crippling their primary export: mercenary soldiers. Shamna explains their plan to use Nunnally to access the collective unconsciousness within C's World to restore Zilkhistan's political might.
Suspecting Zilkhistan's involvement, Kallen Stadtfeld, Sayoko Shinozaki, and Lloyd Asplund infiltrate the country and run into C.C. and a physically resurrected but soulless Lelouch. C.C. explains that, after the Zero Requiem, their school friend Shirley Fenette smuggled Lelouch's corpse to her and that she resurrected Lelouch from the dead by reconstructing his corpse, but his memories and personality are trapped in the collective unconsciousness. The group launches an assault on a Zilkhistan prison, where they rescue Suzaku and discover an Aramu Gate, a portal to C's World. C.C. uses the portal to fully resurrect Lelouch. Lelouch once again dons the mantle of Zero and meets up with Britannian forces led by his half-sister Cornelia li Britannia and his former lieutenant Kaname Ohgi.
Lelouch's forces track Nunnally down and find her in a Zilkhistan temple. Lelouch infiltrates the temple and kills Shamna, but she activates her Geass and travels back six hours in the past, allowing her to perfectly predict Lelouch's actions. Lelouch uses his tactical prowess to deduce the mechanics of Shamna's Geass and knocks her out. He frees Nunnally, but learns that her mind has been transported into C's World. C.C. guides him into the collective unconsciousness, and he successfully rescues Nunnally. Suzaku kills Shalio in combat, destroying Shamna permanently. In the aftermath, Lelouch once again bequeaths the title of Zero to Suzaku and departs on a journey with C.C., taking the alias L.L. as his idea of a marriage proposal.
In a post-credits scene set in an undetermined future, L.L. and C.C. are shown standing over a mass grave in a forest, with L.L. stating he would take away the Geass of those who wield it without resolve. This post-credit scene served as the setup for the movie's picture drama where Lelouch and C.C. confronted a pirate and C.C. took away his Geass.
The film debuted at number five with an opening weekend gross of ¥287 million in Japan. It was number six in its second weekend, with a cumulative gross of ¥530 million up until then. As of March 2019, the film has grossed more than ¥1 billion ($9 million) in Japan. Collectively, the Code Geass film franchise has grossed ¥1,899,872,257 ($17,550,396) at the Japanese box office.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection". Cineplex. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Sequel Film's Advance Ticket Bundles DVD of Film's Opening Scenes". Anime News Network. January 12, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- "The Code Geass recap movies are key to new sequel's confusing timeline". Polygon. June 12, 2018.
- "Staff and Cast". Official Code Geass Website. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Code Geass Gets New Sequel & Anime Compilation Film Trilogy". Anime News Network. November 27, 2016. Retrieved December 1, 2020.
- "Funimation to Screen Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Sequel Anime Film in N. America in 2019". Anime News Network. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection: Funimation Films". Funimation Films. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection pamphlet". imgur.
- "New City Hunter, Code Geass Films Debut at #4, #5". Anime News Network. 2019-02-13. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Komatsu, Mikikazu (February 19, 2019). "Japan Box Office: City Hunter, Code Geass Drop One Position in Their 2nd Weekend". Crunchyroll. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Code Geass Producer: Re;surrection Film is 1st Phase of 10-Year Plan". Anime News Network. 5 May 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.