Pseudocode and flowchart of an algorithm in Code Rocket Designer.
|Developer(s)||Rapid Quality Systems|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||English, supports Unicode characters|
Free 30-day trial Trialware
Code Rocket by Rapid Quality Systems is a family of software development tools aimed at improving developer productivity and code quality. It uses abstract pseudocode and flowchart views that allow users to design and visualize algorithms.
Code Rocket is available as a standalone application (Code Rocket Designer) and as a plugin to the Visual Studio (Code Rocket for Visual Studio) and Eclipse (Code Rocket for Eclipse) IDEs. Automated documentation can also be integrated with continuous integration systems or other automated build environments using the Documator command line tool.
The current version, released in March 2012 supports C#, C/C++ and Visual Basic code in Visual Studio and C/C++ and Java code in Eclipse. All languages are available in Code Rocket Designer which doesn’t require any specific IDE.
The pseudocode and flowchart views are fully synchronized so that any changes made in one view are automatically reflected in the other. In Code Rocket Designer, skeleton code is being automatically produced in a variety of languages as designs are manipulated.
In Code Rocket for Visual Studio and Code Rocket for Eclipse, designs are automatically reverse engineered as you move between methods in the code. The pseudocode and flowchart design views are integrated as standard Visual Studio tool windows and Eclipse views. If you make changes to the design of a method, you can commit them back into the code where the new statements will be merged with the existing code. Skeleton code is produced based on the design and is there to be implemented when the developer is ready. When code has been implemented, it is highlighted green in the flowchart and can be indicated in the pseudocode margin.
Uses of Code Rocket
Code Rocket can be used at all stages of the software development lifecycle from initial design and specification through to documentation and maintenance. The Visual Studio and Eclipse plugins are particularly suited for developers needing to visualize their code on demand or to speed up implementation with the design and code generation features. Code Rocket Designer can be used for upfront design of whole projects or individual source files and sub systems. It can also be used for reverse engineering designs from existing code.
Both Code Rocket Designer and the plugins have document generation capabilities in HTML and Word formats. Documentation is produced automatically based on a predefined template. Both the supplied HTML and Word templates can easily be tailered to suite your own web theme or house document style.
New to the current version, the Visual Studio and Eclipse plugins now integrate with the debugger so that the pseudocode and flowchart views are automatically navigated as you step through the code. Breakpoints are highlighted in read and non-breaking statements are highlighted in green.
Outsourcing software development work is becoming increasingly popular for its cost benefits and flexibility. Code Rocket Designer is particularly suited to outsourced development work since it allows detailed design before handing over to the offshore team to be implemented, keeping the intellectual property rights at source.
- Pseudocode design and documentation providing a textual representation of code.
- Flowchart design and documentation providing a graphical representation of code.
- HTML document generation, automatically generated for selected parts of a project or file. Includes highly customizable HTML template engine that can be used to seamlessly blend in with existing websites and branding.
- Word document generation, automatically generated for selected parts of a project or file. Based on a Word template file that can be modified to suit existing house styles.
- Debug stepping in Code Rocket for Visual Studio and Code Rocket for Eclipse, highlighting statements as they are stepped over in the debugger.
- C# support in Code Rocket for Visual Studio and Code Rocket Designer.
- C/C++ support in Code Rocket for Visual Studio, Code Rocket for Eclipse and Code Rocket Designer.
- Visual Basic support in Code Rocket for Visual Studio and Code Rocket Designer.
- Java support in Code Rocket for Eclipse and Code Rocket Designer.