|Headquarters||Edinburgh, Scotland, UK (Head office)|
London, England, UK (Registered office)
|Jim Nicholas (Chairman)|
Andrew Richards (CEO)
Charles Macfarlane (CBO)
Ruyman Reyes Castro (CTO)
Number of employees
Codeplay Software Limited is a privately owned company based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Codeplay creates software based on open programming standards so that application developers can program complex processors using familiar standards and tools. Codeplay provides solutions and services into markets from High Performance Compute (HPC) to edge compute such as ADAS and security cameras. With the increasing demand for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Codeplay is involved in bridging the gap between processor designers and AI application developers. Codeplay works extensively with open standards and is strongly involved with the standards organizations such as Khronos, HSA and MISRA.
Codeplay was founded in 2002 by Andrew Richards, an experienced games developer, and formerly head of Software Development at Eutechnyx. Initial funding for the company was provided by Jez San OBE, founder of Argonaut Games and ARC International. Codeplay began its business developing compilers aimed at games programmers, releasing its VectorC compiler for PlayStation 2 and x86 Windows PC. In 2005, Codeplay shifted focus to developing bespoke C/C++ compilers for processor designers, and has since expanded its services to include development of debuggers, runtimes, and testing tools.
In 2011, Codeplay announced that it had provided the real-time car damage system for NASCAR The Game: 2011, utilizing its Offload technology.
In 2014, Codeplay announced that it was working on an implementation of the Khronos Group's new provisional standard for heterogeneous computing, SYCL. Codeplay Distinguished Engineer, Michael Wong, currently chairs the working group for this standard within the Khronos Group.
In 2018, Codeplay received investment from Foresight, with part of the funds from the Foresight Williams Technology EIS Fund.
Acoran is the production-ready, fully-open software platform for exascale and artificial intelligence. Compatible with a wide range of open standards (SYCL, OpenCL, SPIR-V and oneAPI) as well as supporting high quality full-featured frameworks like TensorFlow or Eigen; Acoran takes software acceleration out of the lab and into production.
ComputeCpp, an implementation of the Khronos® open standard SYCL, is the world's first SYCL v1.2.1 conformant implementation. It is the culmination of work done within Khronos to define open standard programming models that work across multiple platforms and devices.
ComputeAorta is Codeplay's multi-target, multi-platform toolkit for rapidly enabling delivery of the OpenCL, SPIR-V, and Vulkan compute standards. ComputeAorta can also be easily customized to support new and novel hardware architectures, especially for AI and computer vision.
The OpenCL standard has been widely adopted as a programming model for GPUs, CPUs, DSPs and FPGAs. Codeplay built proprietary bespoke implementations of OpenCL for many customers, as well as significantly contributing to the development of OpenCL and related standards within The Khronos Group.
Codeplay has extensive participation into standards bodies to ensure the industry benefits from its extensive and varied knowledge. Codeplay chairs the following standards:
|Khronos Group||Safety Critical Advisory Panel (SCAP)|
|ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22||WG21 SG14 Low Latency/Games/Finance/Embedded/Simulations|
|ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22||WG21 SG5 Transactional Memory (Oracle, Intel, Redhat)|
|ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22||WG21 SG1 Executors (Google, Nvidia, Facebook)|
|ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22||WG21 SG1 Lock-free programming and memory Model (Facebook, IBM)|
|BSI IST/5 and SCC||Standards Council of Canada (SCC)|
Codeplay has contributed to the following EU-funded research projects:
- CARP: Correct and Efficient Accelerator Programming
- LPGPU: Low-Power Parallel Computing on GPUs
- PEPPHER: Performance Portability and Programmability for Heterogeneous Many-core Architectures
- LPGPU2: Low-Power Parallel Computing on GPUs 2
- WIZer : Batteries project, led by Williams Advanced Engineering, will deliver a revolutionary approach to battery management, new hybrid supercapacitor and lithium ion battery systems and a communications platform that will deliver data and capability to customers, vehicle manufacturers and infrastructure providers
- "Renesas Electronics and Codeplay Collaborate on OpenCL and SYCL for ADAS Solutions - Codeplay Software Ltd". www.codeplay.com. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "Codeplay Software to Receive Investment to Enable Safe AI for Automotive - Codeplay Software Ltd". www.codeplay.com. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "TensorFlow gets native support for PowerVR® GPUs via optimised open-source SYCL libraries - Codeplay Software Ltd". www.codeplay.com. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "NSITEXE, Kyoto Microcomputer and Codeplay Software are bringing open standards programming to RISC-V Vector processor for HPC and AI systems - Codeplay Software Ltd". www.codeplay.com. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "NERSC, ALCF, Codeplay Partner on SYCL for Next-generation Supercomputers". www.nersc.gov. Retrieved 2021-03-02.
- "Codeplay Software announces Acoran, the standards based platform for AI programmers - Codeplay Software Ltd". www.codeplay.com. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "CARP: Correct and Efficient Accelerator Programming". Retrieved 3 April 2014
- "Consortium | LPGPU.org". Retrieved 3 April 2014
- "European Consortium Awarded 2.8M€ Grant For Research Into Low Energy Graphics Processing". 9 November 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "PEPPHER Partners". Retrieved 3 April 2014
- LPGPU2 Project with Khronos members Samsung UK, Codeplay and Think Silicon. Retrieved 30 November 2017