This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Codgers is a 2006 stage play by Don Reid that was later turned into a 2011 comedy film of the same name by Wayne Harrison. The play won a 2006 Rodney Seaborn Playwright's Award and toured nationally in 2010.
Reid created a companion play for Codgers entitled Biddies, which released in 2012.
The film follows five elderly men that meet weekly at their local gym to talk and spend time together. When a newcomer threatens their friendships, the group must overcome the temporary setbacks and find a way to overcome these new issues.
The play was positive received by the Australian Stage and Sydney Morning Herald, with the Morning Heraldwriting that it was a "pleasant, simple and heart-warming comedy about ageing and its possible wisdoms".
The play was adapted into a feature film directed by Wayne Harrison and starring Ronald Falk, Ron Haddrick, and Edwin Hodgeman. The film premiered at the Parramatta Riverside Theatre on 24 June 2011 and was released to video on demand through Titan View in 2013.
In 2012 Reid released Biddies as a companion piece to Codgers. The play featured a similar plot device as its predecessor, centering on five older women and former schoolmates that are gathering together to sew a project for their former school. The play starred Maggie Blinco, Annie Byron, Vivienne Garrett, Julie Hudspeth, Donna Lee and Linden Wilkinson, and received mixed reviews.
- "Lack of funds leaves Codgers in the cold". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Mitchell, Natasha (24 July 2008). "Life Matters: Codgers". ABC.net.au. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Blake, Jason. "Sewing circle moral lacks a light thread". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Still here: maturity, wit, wisdom coming to a stage near you". The Australian. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Codgers, Steady Lads". Australian Stage. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Review: Codgers". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Codgers to hit the big screen". Stawell Times. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Biddies - Annie Byron". Focus Magazine. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Old biddies get the laughs". Northern Star. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Old gals get noticed in Don Reid's new play Biddies". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 28 May 2013.