December 15, 1988|
Southern Cross, Western Australia
|Alma mater||Curtin University of Technology|
|Occupation||Actor, director, screenwriter|
Cody Fern (born December 15, 1988) is an Australian actor and filmmaker. Following his feature debut in The Tribes of Palos Verdes (2017), he portrayed murder victim David Madson in the FX series The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018). Later that year, Fern had his breakthrough performance as the Antichrist Michael Langdon in American Horror Story: Apocalypse. He is set to appear in the upcoming final season of the Netflix drama House of Cards as Duncan Shepherd.
Early life and education
Fern was born in Southern Cross, in rural Western Australia. He attended boarding school at Merredin Senior High School, and graduated from Curtin University of Technology with an Honours Degree in Commerce in 2009.
In 2011, Fern played Romeo in Shakespeare WA's production of Romeo and Juliet, Lindsay in the Black Swan Theatre Company's Jandamarra, and the Earl of Southampton in the world premiere production of The Enchanters at the State Theatre of Western Australia. He has appeared in a number of short films, including the Western Australian Screen Award-winning picture Still Take You Home (2010) and The Last Time I Saw Richard (2014).
Fern has trained with well known acting coaches, including: Ellen Burstyn, Larry Moss, and Susan Batson. Fern played the lead role of Albert in the National Theatre of Great Britain's production War Horse, which received critical acclaim.
In 2018, Fern made his television debut in the acclaimed FX true crime anthology series The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story as David Madson. He was later announced to star in the series regular role of Duncan Shepherd on the final season of House of Cards. Fern portrays the Antichrist Michael Langdon in the eighth season of FX horror anthology series American Horror Story, titled Apocalypse.
|2008||Hole in the Ground||Zach||Short film|
|2010||Still Take You Home||Milk||Short film|
|Drawn Home||Steve||Short film|
|2014||The Last Time I Saw Richard||Richard||Short film|
|2017||The Tribes of Palos Verdes||Jim Mason|
|Pisces||Charlie||Short film; also director and writer|
|2018||The Great Darkened Days||Travelling Salesman|
|2014||Christmas Eve, 1914||Arnold Chapman||Television film|
|2018||The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story||David Madson||4 episodes|
|American Horror Story: Apocalypse||Michael Langdon||6 episodes|
|House of Cards||Duncan Shepherd||Upcoming series|
- Heath Ledger Scholarship Awarded to 'War Horse' Stage Actor Cody Fern - TheWrap
- Cody's calling The Age
- "Cody Fern ready for the ride of his life in War Horse". Sally Bennett. Sunday Herald Sun, October 15, 2012
- "Acting added up for Cody Fern". Jo Litson. The Sunday Telegraph, March 10, 2013
- Cody Fern | Shakespeare WA
- War Horse [Melbourne] review | Simon Parris: Man in Chair
- "From the heart of the beast" December 1, 2012 Jessica Nicholas. Sydney Morning Herald
- "Brilliant puppetry wins hearts in a canter". Sydney Morning Herald, January 1, 2013 Cameron Woodhead.
- War Horse star ordered to rest after injury. Sydney Morning Herald
- Heath Ledger scholarship awarded to newcomer Cody Fern | Mail Online
- "Cody Fern Wins Heath Ledger Scholarship" Archived 2014-06-23 at the Wayback Machine. FilmInk
- Evans, Greg (February 8, 2018). "Cody Fern Lands Series Regular Role On Netflix's 'House Of Cards'". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 8, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (July 26, 2018). "'American Horror Story' Season 8 Casts Cody Fern as Michael Langdon". Variety.