|Alma mater||Curtin University of Technology|
Cody Fern (born July 6, 1988) is an Australian actor and filmmaker. Following his feature debut in The Tribes of Palos Verdes (2017), he portrayed murder victim David Madson in the FX series The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018). Later that year, Fern had his breakthrough performance as Michael Langdon in American Horror Story: Apocalypse. He also appeared in the final season of the Netflix drama House of Cards as Duncan Shepherd.
Early life and education
Fern was born in Southern Cross, in rural Western Australia. He attended boarding school at Merredin Senior High School, and graduated from Curtin University of Technology with an Honours Degree in Commerce in 2009.
In 2011, Fern played Romeo in Shakespeare WA's production of Romeo and Juliet, Lindsay in the Black Swan Theatre Company's Jandamarra, and the Earl of Southampton in the world premiere production of The Enchanters at the State Theatre of Western Australia. He has appeared in a number of short films, including the Western Australian Screen Award-winning picture Still Take You Home (2010) and The Last Time I Saw Richard (2014).
Fern has trained with well known acting coaches, including Ellen Burstyn, Larry Moss, and Susan Batson. Fern played the lead role of Albert in the National Theatre of Great Britain's production War Horse, which received critical acclaim.
In 2018, Fern made his television debut in the acclaimed FX true crime anthology series The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story as David Madson. He was later announced to star in the series regular role of Duncan Shepherd on the final season of House of Cards. The same year, Fern portrayed the Antichrist Michael Langdon in the eighth season of FX horror anthology series American Horror Story, titled Apocalypse.
|2008||Hole in the Ground||Zach||Short film|
|2010||Still Take You Home||Milk|
|2014||The Last Time I Saw Richard||Richard|
|2017||The Tribes of Palos Verdes||Jim Mason|
|2017||Pisces||Charlie||Short film; also director and writer|
|2018||The Great Darkened Days||Travelling Salesman|
|2014||Christmas Eve, 1914||Arnold Chapman||Television film|
|2018||The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story||David Madson||4 episodes|
|2018||American Horror Story: Apocalypse||Michael Langdon||9 episodes|
|2018||House of Cards||Duncan Shepherd||6 episodes|
|2019||American Horror Story: 1984||TBA||Upcoming series|
- "Heath Ledger Scholarship Awarded to 'War Horse' Stage Actor Cody Fern". 12 June 2014.
- Cody's calling The Age
- "Cody Fern ready for the ride of his life in War Horse". Sally Bennett. Sunday Herald Sun, 15 October 2012
- "Acting added up for Cody Fern". Jo Litson. The Sunday Telegraph, 10 March 2013
- "Cody Fern - Shakespeare WA". shakespearewa.com.
- "War Horse [Melbourne] review". 1 January 2013.
- "From the heart of the beast" 1 December 2012 Jessica Nicholas. The Sydney Morning Herald
- "Brilliant puppetry wins hearts in a canter". The Sydney Morning Herald, 1 January 2013 Cameron Woodhead.
- War Horse star ordered to rest after injury. The Sydney Morning Herald
- "Cody Fern is the winner of this year's Australians In Film Scholarship".
- "Cody Fern Wins Heath Ledger Scholarship" Archived 2014-06-23 at the Wayback Machine FilmInk
- Evans, Greg (8 February 2018). "Cody Fern Lands Series Regular Role On Netflix's House of Cards". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Variety Staff (27 August 2018). "House of Cards Unveils First Look at Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear Characters Inspired by Koch Brothers". Variety. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (26 July 2018). "American Horror Story Season 8 Casts Cody Fern as Michael Langdon". Variety.