Temporal range: Lopingian, 260.4–251 Ma
|Life restoration of Coelurosauravus jaekeli|
Coelurosauravus (meaning "hollow lizard grandfather") is a genus of basal diapsid reptile, with specialized wing-like structures allowing it to glide. These were rod like structures with skin stretched over them. These bony rods are not extensions of the ribs but are newly evolved dermal bones, a feature which is unique to the genus.
The average length of the specimens was 40 centimetres (16 in) and the body was long and flat, suitable for gliding. The skull was lizard-like with a pointed snout and contained a broad back with a serrated crest, superficially resembling the crests of ceratopsian dinosaurs. It lived during the Upper Permian (Lopingian) period in what is now Germany, England and Madagascar.
Daedalosaurus Carroll, 1978, based on a specimen from the Late Permian of Madagascar, is a synonym. Gracilisaurus and Weigeltisaurus, both from the Late Permian of northeastern Germany, were synonymized with Coelurosauravus in 1987.
- Palmer, D., ed. (1999). The Marshall Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals. London: Marshall Editions. p. 83. ISBN 1-84028-152-9.
- S. E. Evans. 1982. The gliding reptiles of the Upper Permian. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 76(2):97-123
- Evans and Haubold, 1987. A review of the Upper Permian genera Coelurosauravus, Weigeltisaurus and Gracilisaurus (Reptilia: Diapsida). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 90(3), 275-303.
- Parker, Steve. Dinosaurus: the complete guide to dinosaurs. Firefly Books Inc, 2003. Pg. 98
- Lambert D, Naish D, and Wyse E (2001) Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Life, p. 77, Dorling Kindersley Limited, London. ISBN 0-7513-0955-9
- Evans SE (1982) Gliding reptiles of the Upper Permian. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 76:97–123.
- Evans SE, Haubold H (1987) A review of the Upper Permian genera Coelurosauravus, Weigeltisaurus and Gracilisaurus (Reptilia: Diapsida). Zool J Linn Soc, 90:275–303.
- Frey E, Sues H-D, Munk W (1997). Gliding Mechanism in the Late Permian Reptile Coelurosauravus. Science Vol. 275. no. 5305, pp. 1450 - 1452 doi:10.1126/science.275.5305.1450
|This article about a Permian reptile is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|