|Product type||Non-dairy Creamer Brand|
|Introduced||February 2, 1961|
An unopened bottle of Coffee-Mate can last up to two years with no refrigeration and can stay fresh for two weeks once it is opened. The product is popular in offices where refrigeration may not be available. Non-dairy creamer can be used by individuals who are lactose-intolerant. Once opened, liquid non-dairy creamer should be refrigerated.
The original product was introduced in February 1961, followed by Coffee-Mate Lite and Coffee-Mate Liquid in 1989.
In the US, where the product is manufactured by Nestlé in Glendale, California, the product is available in liquid, liquid concentrate and powdered forms. American Coffee-Mate comes in over 25 different flavours, including gingerbread, Parisian almond creme, and peppermint mocha. Discontinued varieties include Coffee-Mate Soy and Coffee-Mate Half & Half.
In Europe, it is only available in powder form as a coffee creamer in one or two varieties depending on the country with no added flavours. The European version of Coffee-Mate is manufactured without the use of hydrogenated fat, which is linked to heart disease.
Coffee-Mate Original is mostly made up of three ingredients - corn syrup solids, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and sodium caseinate. Sodium caseinate, a form of casein, is a milk derivative; however, this is a required ingredient in non-dairy creamers, which are considered non-dairy due to the lack of lactose. Coffee-Mate Original also contains small amounts of dipotassium phosphate, to prevent coagulation; mono- and diglycerides, used as an emulsifier; sodium aluminosilicate, an anticaking agent; artificial flavor; and annatto color.
- Coffee-Mate (PDF), tsdr.uspto.gov, November 7, 1967, retrieved July 8, 2018
- "What the heck is COFFEE-MATE, anyway?". Organic Authority. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Coffee-mate". nestle.co.uk. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- World Health Organization Disease-specific recommendations
- "Commercial Item Description: Creamer, Non-Dairy, Dry" (PDF). Agricultural Marketing Service. United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- "Original Coffee Creamer - Powdered". Coffee-mate®. Retrieved 8 July 2018.