|Founder||JoAnne and Julius Shaw|
|Headquarters||Flushing, Michigan, United States|
Number of locations
|JoAnne Shaw, CEO/president|
Kevin Shaw, vice president of real estate
|Products||Coffee, Tea, Smoothies|
|Parent||Shaw Coffee Company |
Coffee Beanery is a Flushing, Michigan-based chain of coffee shops operating in the United States, Europe, Asia, and U.S. Territories. It was founded in Dearborn, Michigan in 1976 and has over 100 locations in the United States.
In 1976 JoAnne and Julius Shaw began selling specialty coffee to consumers in their first store at Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn, Michigan. As of February 2007, the company had 131 franchise locations in the United States and another 25 in other countries, most notably in Kuwait, Bahrain, China, Cyprus, South Korea, United Arab Emirates and Lebanon. In September 2017, Coffee Beanery donated the franchise to MCC , the donation was valued at $27,500.
In 2006, the Maryland securities commissioner determined that the company had made "material misrepresentations" to prospective franchisees in violation of state law, and ordered it to release Maryland franchisees from their contracts without penalty. In 2008, the Illinois attorney general made a similar determination. The Maryland order also directed the company to "permanently cease and desist from offering and selling" franchises in Maryland. In the judge’s latest court order, he ruled “This case is buyers’ remorse” and the case was settled in 2013.
- Usealman, Kevin (September 23, 2010). "Locally owned Coffee Beanery started mass phenomenon". MiNBCnews.com. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Crane, Mary (February 16, 2007). "A Cautionary Tale For New Franchisees". Forbes. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "Company Overview of The Coffee Beanery LTD". businessweek.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Muller, Joann (November 30, 1988). "Coffee idea is perking into chain". Detroit Free Press. p. 6C. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- International Directory of Company Histories, St James Press
- "Coffee Beanery donates franchise to MCC | October 26, 2017 | davisonindex.mihomepaper.com | The Davison Index". Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Court Rules for Coffee Beanery Franchisees, bluemaumau.org. Retrieved 20 February 2013