Typhlops tenuis, now commonly Amerotyphlops tenuis, is a harmless blind snake species found in Mexico and Guatemala. No subspecies are currently recognized. Its common name is coffee blind snake.
T. tenuis is found from Mexico (Veracruz) south to Guatemala (Alta and Baja Verapaz). Earlier sources also include Honduras whereas recent ones do not, the Honduran endemic Amerotyphlops stadelmani was formerly included in this species. The type locality given is "Coban [Cobán, Alta Verapaz] in Guatemala".
The species occurs in moist forests, degraded forests, and agricultural land from sea level to 800 m (2,600 ft) above sea level. As a fossorial species, it is difficult to find, but it can be locally common.
T. tenuis is classified as Least Concern (LC) on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (v3.1, 2001). Species are listed as such due to their wide distribution, presumed large population, or because it is unlikely to be declining fast enough to qualify for listing in a more threatened category. The population trend is unknown. Year assessed: 2007.
- List of typhlopid species and subspecies.
- Typhlops by common name.
- Typhlops by taxonomic synonyms.
- Typhlopidae by common name.
- Typhlopidae by taxonomic synonyms.
- Lopez-Luna, M.A. (2013). "Amerotyphlops tenuis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2013: e.T64295A3134462. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- McDiarmid, Roy W.; Campbell, Jonathan A.; Touré, T'Shaka A. (1999). Snake Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, Volume 1. Washington, District of Columbia: Herpetologists' League. 511 pp. ISBN 978-1-893777-00-2.
- Amerotyphlops tenuis at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database. Accessed 29 January 2017.
- "Typhlops tenuis". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- McCranie, James R. (2015). "A checklist of the amphibians and reptiles of Honduras, with additions, comments on taxonomy, some recent taxonomic decisions, and areas of further studies needed". Zootaxa. 3931 (3): 352–386. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3931.3.2.
- Amerotyphlops stadelmani at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database. Accessed 1 February 2017.
- 2001 Categories & Criteria (version 3.1) at the IUCN Red List. Accessed 15 September 2007.
- Salvin O (1860). "On the Reptiles of Guatemala". Proc. Zool. Soc. London 1860: 451-461. (Typhlops tenuis, new species, p. 454).
|Wikispecies has information related to: Typhlops tenuis|