|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Region||Central Visayas Region VII|
|District||1st District of Bohol|
|• Type||Sangguniang Barangay|
|• Brgy Captain||Nicanor Besas|
|• Brgy Council|
|• Total||204 ha (504 acres)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||8,700/km2 (23,000/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2013)||8,774|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)38|
Cogon is a barangay in the city of Tagbilaran, in the province of Bohol, Philippines. Located centrally in the city, Cogon overlooks Tagbilaran Bay to the west, to the south it is bounded by Poblacion 2, to the east by Dampas and Dao and to the north by Booy. It has a plain and rolling land terrain. The highest point of elevation is only 55 metres (180 ft) above sea level.
The total land area is 204 hectares (500 acres). According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 17,750 – the most in the city. In the 2013 electoral roll, it had 8,774 registered voters, meaning that 49% of the population are aged 18 and over. It is generally believed that more than half its present population are not native Cogonhanons.
The barangay is divided into Lower and Upper Cogon, with Pres. Carlos P. Garcia Avenue as the boundary:
- Lower Cogon, which is on the west, is fairly flat and plain. It is conducive to commercial establishments as well as residential purposes.
- Upper Cogon, which is on the east, is rolling land.
There are eight puroks with 122 clusters or units in the barangay overseen by the elected kagawads.
There are tourist facilities located in the barangay such as Bohol Tropics Resort Club, Hotel La Roca and Coralandia Resorts. Tagbilaran Tourist Port and Tagbilaran Airport, main gateways for inbound tourist traffic, are also geographically located in the barangay. Two health centers and one tertiary private hospital cater to the needs of the people. A shopping center, Plaza Marcela, and other commercial establishments are also situated in Cogon.
Birhen sa Barangay parish shrine or "Cogon Shrine", also often called "Simbahang Lingin" (Round Church) by parishioners and residents, is located near the airport, along Benigno Aquino Jr. Avenue. The parish is led by its parish priest, Fr. Jesus Labor.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Project of Precincts for the 2013 Barangay Elections
- Cogon, Tagbilaran City www.tagbilaran.gov.ph
- "Bohol Tropics Resort". Visayas Hotels. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Bohol la Roca Hotel". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Plaza Marcela". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "The Shrine of the Birhen Sa Barangay". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Tagbilaran Diocese Website". Retrieved 30 October 2014.