|Locale||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu|
|Transit type||Rapid transit Metro rail|
|Number of lines||3|
|Number of stations||24|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||Third rail 750 V DC|
|Average speed||65 km/h (40 mph)|
|Top speed||80 km/h (50 mph)|
The Government of Tamil Nadu under DMK proposed a metro rail system for Coimbatore. However, in 2011, under ADMK government the plan was shelved in favour of a monorail system. Coimbatore railway struggle committee has also protested to implement metro rail project in Coimbatore In 2013,Metroman E. Sreedharan made survey and announced metro rail as suitable transport for Coimbatore.. In January 2017, a Coimbatore District Administration official told The Hindu that there was no mass rapid system presently under consideration for Coimbatore. Government again announced a plan to construct metro rail in 2017. Railway minister Suresh Prabu has announced that central government is ready to implement and fund metro rail project in Coimbatore. State government has also approved for metro rail. The works will began by next financial year 2017/18. CM Edapdi K Palaniswami announced metro rail plan for Coimbatore. He also announced that the feasibility study will be conducted and DPR will be prepared by CMRL and the funds will be provided by German based KFW company. 
- 2010:Tamilnadu government under DMK proposes metro rail for Coimbatore
- 2011:Central government announces Metrorail for Coimbatore and other cities.
- 2011:Tamilnadu government under J.Jayalalitha changes plan from metro to monorail.
- 2013:Metroman E. Sreedharan makes survey and annouces Metro rail as suitable transport for Coimbatore.
- 2017:Tamilnadu government under Edappadi K. Palaniswami announce metro rail for Coimbatore.
- 2017:Tamilnadu government announce the commencement of Coimbatore metro rail works by financial year 2017-18
- 2017:Railway minister Suresh Prabhu also announces that central government is ready to launch and fund the Coimbatore metrorail project
- 2017:Tamilnadu Government announces that feasibility study would be conducted and DPR will be prepared for Coimbatore metro by CMRL and the fund will be provided by German based company.
State government officials said four mass transport corridors covering 136km proposed in the comprehensive mobility plan[CMP] will be considered while conducting the feasibility study. The corridors were planned based on vehicular and pedestrian traffic on the city's main roads including Trichy Road, Sathyamangalam Road, Avinashi Road and Mettupalayam Road. Metro rail routes have been proposed.
- Northern Route: Gandhipuram → Ganapathy → Sivanandha Colony → Saibaba Colony → RS Puram → Townhall → Railway station → Gandhipuram.(phase I)
- Southern Route: Podanur → Trichy Road → Sungam → Red Fields → Race Course → Railway Station → Ukkadam → Podanur +vellalore(phase II)
- Linear Line: Chinniampalayam → Airport → CODISSIA → PSG Tech → Lakshmi Mill Junction → Gandhipuram → North Coimbatore → Cowley Brown Road → Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.(phase III)
- PSG tech
- Lakshmi Mill Junction
- North Coimbatore
- Cowley Brown Road
- TNAU University
|No of Stations||Intermediate stations||Extension||Interchange|
|Line 1||Gandhipuram||Railway station||-||km||8||Gandhipuram, Ganapathy, Sivananda Colony, Sai Baba colony, RS Puram, Town hall, Railway Station|
|Line 2||Railway Station||Vellalore||-||km||8||Podanur, Trichy Road, Sungam, Red Fields, Race Course, Railway Station, Ukkadam, Vellalore|
|Line 3||Chinniampalayam||TNAU||-||9||Chinniampalayam, Airport, CODISSIA, PSG Tech, Lakshmi Mill Junction, Gandhipuram, North Coimbatore, Cowley Brown Road, TNAU University|
- "Railway struggle comitte meets cm".
- "railway committee suggest metro".
- "Metroman E.sreedharan proposes metro".
- Rajkumar, Varun Venkatesan and Surya. "Signal remains red for Coimbatore metro rail project". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Metro works to begin by next financial year".
- "Coimbatore gets metro".
- "CM announces metro for coimbatore".
- "coimbatore gets metro".
- "CMRL roped in for Coimbatore Metro Rail plan".
- "German based company funds coimbatore metro".
- "Corporation speeds up work to begin mono rail project". The Times of India. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Karthik Madhavan (4 September 2012). "A fresh look at Mass Public Transport System for city". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 July 2013.