Honorary President (2015-2016)
|Rector Mahmut Ak
Executive Board Chair
University of Granada
The Coimbra Group (CG) is an association of long-established European multidisciplinary universities of high international standard. It was founded in 1985 and formally constituted by charter in 1987.
The Coimbra Group is:
...an association of long-established European comprehensive, multidisciplinary universities of high international standard committed to creating special academic and cultural ties in order to promote, for the benefit of its members, internationalization, academic collaboration, excellence in learning and research, and service to society. It is also the purpose of the Group to influence European education and research policy and to develop best practice through the mutual exchange of experience.
In pursuit of its Mission the Coimbra Group aims to:
- Facilitate all forms of interchange, especially academic, cultural, social and sporting, and knowledge transfer among its member universities, their students and staff, with a view to ensuring full advantage is taken of the added value brought about by network cooperation.
- Promote the role of comprehensive multidisciplinary research universities in today’s changing global scene.
- Promote the Group worldwide as a reference of academic excellence in Europe, with a view to attracting students to the member universities and to encouraging academic cooperation and interchange between the members and institutions from around the world.
- Act as a driving force in the development of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) and the European Research Area (ERA) and promote the academic expertise of its members within these areas
- Contribute to the debate on higher education in Europe and, where appropriate, influence European policy.
- Act as an expert body, able to advise its members and other institutions (including the European Commission and its agencies) on matters relating to higher education.
- Promote academic and cultural heritage in higher education for the 21st century.
- Promote the role of universities in service to society at different levels, especially their impact on local, regional and global development.
- Promote the importance of research integrity in scientific practice.
- Ensure that adequate attention is paid to and full advantage taken of gender diversity and that equal opportunities exist.
As of 2015, the Coimbra Group includes 38 universities in 23 countries:
- Georg-August University of Göttingen
- Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg
- Friedrich Schiller University of Jena
- Julius-Maximilian University of Würzburg
- "CG Member Universities 2014" (PDF). Coimbra Group. Retrieved 20 April 2010.