This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Municipal president||Alejandro Nieves (PAN)
2006 - 2009
|Time zone (UTC)||-6 UTC CST|
|GDP (per capita) (2000)||US$3.319,00|
Colón is a town in Colón Municipality of the State of Querétaro, Mexico. It is the only one in the country named after Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón, in Spanish). It's the state's third largest municipality, with 815 square kilometers. Its mean altitude is 1900 meters above sea level. The Continental Divide of the Americas runs through it.
- 1531 The Spaniards arrive, allied with the Chichimecs and built a fort called San Isidro.
- 1550 Formal founding of the town, renamed Tolimanejo. In the same year Ajuchitlán and Zamorano were founded.
- 1687 Soriano is founded, just one kilometer from Tolimanejo.
- 1882 State Congress decided to unify Soriano and Tolimanejo as the new city of Colón.
- 1920 Rómulo de la Torre becomes the first and only Governor of Querétaro born in Colón
- 1923 Colón became a municipality.
- 2004 Querétaro International Airport starts operations, it is partly on Colón soil, near Galeras.
- 2007 The first aeronautical assembly plant is inaugurated.
The economy is centered mainly around poultry and cattle, as well as agriculture. There are dairy farms and animal food processing factories. New aeronautical companies are expected to invest in the area.
Tourism is based on rock drawings (two sites), water parks, camping sites on forests, sport fishing, and the local Fair. Religious tourism is derived from the Sanctuary of Soriano, which attracts visitors during Holy Week and September.
Colón is present in the State Congress by the Representatives of the 13th District and in the Federal Congress by the Representatives of the 1st Federal Electoral District of the State of Querétaro.
- "Contact Us Archived 2011-10-05 at the Wayback Machine.." Regional Cargo. Retrieved on August 15, 2011. "Corporate Offices International Airport of Querétaro Carretera estatal 200 Querétaro - Tequisquiapan No. 22500 Bodegas 9 y 10 Galeras, Querétaro. C.P. 76295" - Address in Spanish Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine.: "Oficinas Corporativas Aeropuerto Internacional de Querétaro Bodegas 9 y 10 Carretera Estatal 200 Querétaro - Tequisquiapan No. 22500 C.P. 76295 Colón, Querétaro. México "
|This article about a location in the Mexican state of Querétaro is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|