26 January 1967
Manchester, England, UK
|Known for||Founder and CEO of Internet Movie Database|
Colin Needham (born 26 January 1967, Manchester, England, United Kingdom) is the founder and CEO of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), and has served as general manager of IMDb since its acquisition by Amazon.com in 1998.
IMDb was started in 1990 by Colin Needham while Needham was working as an engineer in Bristol at Hewlett-Packard (HP). The site that was initially his personal movie database, was more like an internet bulletin board made from simple records, kept on a succession of early computers.
Needham continued adding information to this early IMDb by including every film he had seen since the age of 13, and with the help of the many volunteers, IMDb grew large.
Born in 1967 in Denton, Tameside, Greater Manchester, Needham grew up on Stockport Road and attended Audenshaw School. He later went on to Hyde sixth form now Hyde Clarendon. He graduated from the University of Leeds with a BSc Computer Science in 1988.
- Siklos, Richard (28 May 2006). "From a Small Stream, a Gusher of Movie Facts". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Col Needham Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Col Needham at the Internet Movie Database
- Shoard, Catherine (12 May 2013). "Six degrees of IMDb founder Col Needham This man has seen 8,524 movies. How does he know? Because he invented the Internet Movie Database – the indispensable cinema encyclopaedia – and put Bristol on Hollywood's map". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 13 May 2013.
- "The Movie Database By Col Needham". Eyerys.
- Finke, Nikki (5 August 2004). "Do You IMDb?". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Col Needham's user profile – Internet Movie Database". IMDb. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "3rd Annual Webby Awards Nominees & Winners". Webby Awards. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Glendinning, Amy. "I am IMDb: The millionaire film geek from Denton behind the world's top movie website". Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Biography for Col Needham". IMDb. May 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Col Needham.|