Col de Peyresourde
|Col de Peyresourde|
The eastern approach to the Col de Peyresourde
|Elevation||1,569 m (5,148 ft)|
The Col de Peyresourde (Occitan: Còth de Pèira Sorda) (elevation 1,569 m (5,148 ft)) is a mountain pass in the central Pyrenees on the border of the department of Haute-Garonne and Hautes-Pyrénées in France. It is situated on the D618 road between Bagnères-de-Luchon and Arreau.
Details of climb
Starting from Bagnères-de-Luchon (east), the Col de Peyresourde is 15.3 km (9.5 mi) long. Over this distance, the climb is 939 m (3,081 ft) (an average gradient of 6.1%). The steepest sections are 9.8%. No mountain pass cycling milestones for cyclists are placed on this side of the climb. Only close to Bagnères-de-Luchon and 3 kilometres from the summit signposts inform about the overall climb.
Starting from Armenteule (west), the climb is 8.3 km (5.2 mi) long. Over this distance, the climb is 629 m (2,064 ft) (an average gradient of 7.6%). On this side mountain pass cycling milestones for cyclists are placed every kilometre. They indicate the current height, the distance to the summit, and the average slope in the following passage.
One of the mountain pass cycling milestones at the climb from Armenteule
Tour de France
In 2007, the Tour de France crossed the Col de Peyresourde on stage 15, joining the climb at Saint-Aventin (5.5 km from Bagnères de Luchon) after descending from the Port de Balès. This stage was selected for the 2007 L'Étape du Tour, in which amateur and club riders ride over a full stage of the tour.
The col was crossed twice in the 2012 Tour de France, firstly on Stage 16 from Pau to Bagnères-de-Luchon, when it was ranked a Category 1 climb, and again on the following day, when it was unranked, with the stage continuing on to the ski station at nearby Peyragudes.
Appearances in Tour de France (since 1947)
- IGN map
- "Col de Peyresourde: Bagnères de Luchon". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Col de Peyresourde: Armenteule". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Le col de Peyresourde dans le Tour de France depuis 1947" (in French). ledicodutour. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- Woodland, Les (2003). The Yellow Jersey companion to the Tour de France. Random House. p. 264. ISBN 0-224-06318-9.
- "Stage 16: Pau –Bagnères-de-Luchon". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon –Peyragudes". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Col de Peyresourde.|