ColdSpring is a web application framework for the ColdFusion application programming language, based on the Java Spring Framework. It was originally created by Dave Ross and Chris Scott. The framework provides Dependency injection, inversion of control and aspect-oriented programming design pattern capabilities in an effort to make the configuration and dependencies of ColdFusion components (CFCs) easier to manage.
A noted strength of ColdSpring is its ability to provide complementary services to other applications and frameworks. ColdSpring has been deeply embedded within the core of the Model-Glue framework since Model-Glue 2.0. Also, Fusebox since 5.0 ships with a ColdSpring-specific lexicon.
ColdSpring has historically had a long development and release cycle when compared to other ColdFusion frameworks. ColdSpring was first mentioned by Dave Ross when he released a pre-alpha version on February 9, 2005. Interest was found quickly within the ColdFusion community and a support group was formed around the software later in 2005, as was the ColdSpring Framework web site. Eventually, a release candidate was released June 2, 2006.
September 12, 2008 The 1.2 release included changes to make working with beans, especially when using the XML Bean Factory, much easier, including creating bean aliases, including other bean configuration files, creating collections within the configuration file and other fixes.
Future ColdSpring 2.0
The future of ColdSpring includes a full rewrite of the core libraries by Mark Mandel, and is codenamed Narwhal.
- Better Coding with the Model-Glue:Unity ColdFusion Application Framework
- http://www.d-ross.org/index.cfm?objectid=F7D09312-A7F9-DF09-3E8E59AC861E3651 Dave Ross, ColdSpring Pre-Alpha Release
- http://www.d-ross.org/index.cfm?objectid=D79C3C72-06D5-43E7-5BD79ACF04EACA5C Dave Ross, ColdSpring Shout Outs
- http://www.d-ross.org/index.cfm?objectid=95E4B4DE-C407-A9D9-88996A41797143CB Dave Ross, ColdSpring 1.0 RC1 Release
- http://www.mattwoodward.com/machblog/index.cfm?event=showEntry&entryID=0193362D-F722-89EC-82A8092554E467E6 Matt Woodward, ColdSpring 1.0 Released
- http://corfield.org/blog/index.cfm/do/blog.entry/entry/ColdSpring_12_Released Sean Corfield, Coldspring 1.2 Released
- http://www.briankotek.com/blog/index.cfm/2008/9/22/Whats-New-In-ColdSpring-12 Brian Kotek, What's New in ColdSpring 1.2
- http://www.compoundtheory.com/?action=displayPost&ID=463 Mark Mandel, CFObjective 2010 topics include ColdSpring 2.0