Cold Storage (supermarket)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chris Bush, CEO|
|Products||Grocery Stores, No Frills Supermarkets|
|Parent||Dairy Farm Group|
It operates three supermarket brands in Singapore and Malaysia; Cold Storage (in Singapore and Malaysia), Market Place (in Singapore) and Giant Hypermarket (in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Vietnam and UAE).
Cold Storage was one of the first supermarkets in Singapore to offer its merchandise online in 1997. The number of regular customers has since grown from 6,000 in 1998, to more than 15,000 in 2012.
Established in 1903, Cold Storage started as a small depot storing and selling mainly frozen meat from Australia.
In its early days, the company's primary concern was to have a quick and profitable turnover of its imported meats and range of products. Later, Cold Storage shifted from counter-service to self-service, introducing the supermarket to Singapore. Then, the company pioneered the concept of multiple retailing, capitalising on bulk buying and economies of scale.
Cold Storage is the island's oldest established supermarket operator with over 100 years of experience in Singapore. It was the first supermarket in Singapore to receive the CaseTrust mark introduced by CASE in 1998 which identifies companies that receive a high degree of consumer confidence. It was also the first supermarket in Singapore to receive MUIS certification for its supermarket operations at Causeway Point, thus providing Muslims with the assurance of Halal purchases.
In recognising the importance of freshness, Cold Storage started the Fresh Food Distribution Centre in Singapore in 1999, a composite multi-temperature warehousing for fresh and frozen food distribution.
Store brands and types
SGS has awarded HACCP certification to Cold Storage, quality and integrity in food safety. Now, it operates 48 stores in Singapore, located across the country in city center, affluent suburbs and HDB (public housing) estates, and 19 stores in Malaysia.
In Malaysia, Cold Storage is known for stocking rare, delicatessen-type goods that are not normally available in regular supermarkets and normally caters to expatriates. Cold Storage and Giant are co-owned by the Dairy Farm Group in Malaysia.
Market Place is a supermarket brand and full-service retailer.
And now, Market Place has other operates stores in Hong Kong and Taiwan by its Hong Kong sister company, Wellcome. It introduced the name of Market Place by Jasons (in Hong Kong) and Jasons Market Place (in Taiwan).
Shop N Save
It was a former discount supermarket chain in Singapore, operating 50 stores located across the island in HDB estates and suburban malls. It sells a range of cheap products and fresh food. In 2013, it was merged and renamed with Giant Hypermarket.
Giant is one of the largest players of the retail industry in Malaysia, having over 85 branches spread throughout the country. It was founded by the Teng family in 1944.
Private label brands
First introduced with less than 50 items in categories such as rice, UHT milk, toilet paper and cooking sauces. As of 2012, it has more than 1,600 SKUs of housebrand products under two house brands, First Choice and No Frills at Cold Storage, Market Place and Shop N Save supermarkets. It offer a wide variety of goods in close to 40 categories from wines to kitchenware. It consists of brands 'First Choice', launched in 1999 and 'No Frills', developed in 1993.
Notes and references
- "shopping at store online". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- Goh, Chor Boon (2003). Serving Singapore: a hundred years of Cold Storage, 1903-2003. Singapore: Cold Storage Singapore. ISBN 9813065702.
- "corporate history". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "store brands concept". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Slalalaingapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Cold Storage store locations". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "about Jasons Market Place (Chinese Version)". Jasons Market Place Taiwan. Archived from the original on 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Market Place store locations". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore).
- "corporate milestones in 2003". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Shop N Save store locations". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Shop n Save supermarket outlets to be converted to Giant stores". The Straits Times. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "our House Brands". Cold Storage (Dairy Farm Singapore). Archived from the original on 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2009-05-10.