Coldstone (game engine)
Coldstone application icon
|Developer(s)||Beenox Studios, Ambrosia Software|
|Stable release||1.0.1 / August 6, 2002|
|Operating system||Mac OS 8.1 to 10.1|
|Type||Game creation system|
The Coldstone game creation software is designed to provide a full solution for creating role-playing or adventure-style games. Although the Coldstone software itself only runs on the Mac OS platform, it is capable of compiling stand-alone games that run on the Mac OS 9 platform, the Mac OS X platform, or the Windows platform. The full version of Coldstone shipped with a CD of royalty free artwork for use in one's custom games. A commercial game titled Pillars of Garendall was produced in-house at Ambrosia to demonstrate the Coldstone software's abilities.
MacWorld gave the Coldstone software a rating of 3.5 out of 5, citing the software's extensive technical capabilities along with a steep learning curve and the need for the user to supply their own creativity.
As of December 2008, the Coldstone game engine has been indicated as being "Discontinued" with regard to the latest version information on the Ambrosia Software Web site. According to Ambrosia Software, the Coldstone software has certain flaws to be dealt with before it is made available.
- Cohen, Peter (2002-01-16). "Do it yourself with Ambrosia's Coldstone game engine". Macworld. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Cohen, Peter (2002-07-01). "Game Room". Macworld. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Will Coldstone ever be ported to Windows? | Ambrosia Software, Inc.". Ambrosia Software. 2005-09-15. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- "Is Coldstone compatible with OS X 10.4 - Tiger? | Ambrosia Software, Inc.". Ambrosia Software. 2005-09-15. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- Largent, Andy (2001-11-19). "Coldstone Update; PoG Review, Expansion". Inside Mac Games. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Products | Ambrosia Software, Inc.". Ambrosia Software. Archived from the original on 2008-12-18. Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- "What's this Coldstone I keep hearing about? | Ambrosia Software, Inc.". Ambrosia Software. 2005-09-20. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- FAQs for the Coldstone software at Ambrosia Software
- Coldstone Web boards at Ambrosia Software
- Interview with Dee Brown, the developer of the ColdStone engine software
|This video game software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|