Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cole Harbour city sign
Halifax Harbour(top), and Halifax Regional Municipality.
|Municipality||Halifax Regional Municipality|
|Community council||Harbour East - Marine Drive Community Council|
|District||4 - Cole Harbour - Westphal|
|• Total||10.00 km2 (3.86 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (AST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
|Canadian Postal code|
|Area code(s)||782, 902|
Cole Harbour is adjacent to and immediately east of the former city boundary of Dartmouth; prior to municipal amalgamation and the creation of the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1995, Cole Harbour was an unincorporated village within the Municipality of the County of Halifax. Because of amalgamation in the Halifax region, Canada Post recognizes most of Cole Harbour's residents as living in neighboring Dartmouth.
The centre of Cole Harbour is at the intersection of Forest Hills Parkway and Route 207 (Cole Harbour Road). A small business district is situated along Route 207 with several residential subdivisions such as Forest Hills and Colby Village located north and south of this road.
Extensive residential and commercial development took place during the 1970s and 1980s following completion of Highway 111 and the widening of Cole Harbour Road.
Until the mid-1980s, CN Rail operated a rail line from Dartmouth to Upper Musquodoboit with part of the route crossing the southern edge of the community. The abandoned rail corridor was converted to a rail trail named the Salt Marsh Trail and is part of the Trans Canada Trail.
- Auburn Drive High School
- Cole Harbour District High School
- Bel Ayr Elementary School
- Colby Village Elementary School
- George Bissett Elementary School
- Colonel John Stewart Elementary School
- Astral Drive Elementary School
- Caldwell Road Elementary School
- Joseph Giles Elementary School
- Eric Graves Memorial Junior High School
- Sir Robert Borden Junior High School
- Astral Drive Junior High School
- Robert Kemp Turner Elementary School
- Cole Harbour Place
Cole Harbour is home to Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps IROQUOIS, recipient of the Convoy Shield for the most proficient Sea Cadet Corps in the Maritime area.
- Sidney Crosby, professional hockey player and Olympian
- Mike Clattenburg, film director, writer and creator of Trailer Park Boys
- TJ Grant, UFC fighter
- Craig Hillier, professional hockey player
- Nathan MacKinnon, professional hockey player
- Matt Mays, musician and film producer
- John Paul Tremblay, actor
- Robb Wells, actor
- Jason John Whitehead, comedian
- Morgan Williams, international rugby player.
- "Halifax Regional Municipality Urban Forest Master Plan" (PDF). halifax.ca. Government of the Municipality of Halifax. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-25. Retrieved 2014-02-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Tourism Nova Scotia". novascotia.com. Archived from the original on 25 February 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2017.