Cole Skuse playing for Ipswich Town in 2015
|Full name||Cole Skuse|
|Date of birth||29 March 1986|
|Place of birth||Yate, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Playing position||Midfielder, Defender|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:35, 5 May 2016 (UTC).
Cole Skuse (born 29 March 1986) is an English footballer who plays as a midfielder for Championship side Ipswich Town. He started his footballing career at Bristol City where he made nearly 300 appearances in a ten-year spell with the club. In 2013, he left the club under the Bosman ruling and signed for Ipswich Town on a free transfer. He is a defensive minded central midfielder and has only scored one goal in over 100 competitive games for Ipswich.
As an academy graduate, Skuse made his senior debut as a substitute away at Colchester United on 19 February 2005. He signed his first professional contract, a two-year deal, in April 2005. He then signed a new deal in January 2006, this time a four-year contract keeping him tied to the club until the summer of 2009.
In May 2007, Skuse was watched closely by Reading. However claims that Reading had made an offer for the player were dismissed by Bristol City, who had Skuse under contract until the end of the 2008–09 season. At the end of the campaign, Skuse was tipped by many City fans to be voted as the club's young player of the year, but this was instead awarded to Nicky Maynard.
After signing a new deal at City in summer 2009, Skuse scored his first goal of the 2009–10 season in a 1–1 home draw with Peterborough United. Skuse's second of the campaign, and sixth for Bristol City, came away at Leicester City, to help his team to a 3–1 victory. Skuse was voted the clubs player of the season for the 2009–10 season. Former Bristol City manager Steve Coppell offered Skuse a new extended contract until 2013, which he signed.
In the 2011–12 season Bristol City found new manager Derek McInnes who played Skuse in the full-back position on the right hand side. Skuse scored the first goal in a 2–0 win over Barnsley at Ashton Gate which secured Bristol City's Championship status for the 2012–2013 campaign.
On 14 May 2013, Skuse signed a three-year deal with Ipswich Town. Skuse scored his first goal for Ipswich against Cardiff on 14 April 2015 in his 82nd game for the club with a "worldie". In the 2014/2015 season, Skuse helped guide Ipswich to a 6th place finish in the Championship table, one of the club's most successful seasons of recent years. However, Ipswich remained in the Championship following defeat to rivals Norwich City in the play off semi-finals.
Stats according to Soccerbase
- As of 31 may 2016. League includes Play-Off appearances.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Bristol City||2004–05||League One||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
- Appearance(s) in Football League Trophy
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 77. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Skuse pens extended City contract". BBC Sport. 11 January 2006. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- "Bristol City 6–0 Gillingham". BBC Sport. 18 March 2006. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- "Johnson denies Royals' Skuse link". BBC Sport. 8 June 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- Watson, Stuart (14 May 2013). "Cole Skuse agrees three-year deal at Ipswich Town". Ipswich Evening Star. Retrieved 14 May 2013.