Cole Valley, San Francisco
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
||This article possibly contains original research. (February 2015)|
|Neighborhood of San Francisco|
Cole Valley from below
|• Supervisor||London Breed|
|• State Assembly||David Chiu (D)|
|• State Senator||Mark Leno (D)|
|• U. S. Rep.||Nancy Pelosi (D)|
|• Total||0.44 km2 (0.169 sq mi)|
|• Land||0.44 km2 (0.169 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,550/km2 (24,740/sq mi)|
The neighborhood is bordered on the west by Stanyan Street and the Sutro Forest, on the south by Tank Hill, and on the east by Clayton Street in San Francisco, California. The main commercial strip is condensed into three blocks along Cole Street and part of Carl Street. This strip includes more than a dozen restaurants and café cafes.
It is very close to Haight-Ashbury, and is sometimes considered a sub-area of that district. It is also close to the Inner Sunset.
Cole Valley grew up around the streetcar stop at the entrance to the Sunset Tunnel at the intersection of Carl and Cole Streets. That intersection is still the center of the neighborhood's small business district, and the N Judah light rail line still stops there.
Cole Valley was popular with dot-commers during the late 1990s dot-com bubble. Craig Newmark, founder of Craigslist, is a recent former resident, and still an habitué of Cole Valley's cafes. Today the neighborhood is home to a mix of young professionals, some University of California, San Francisco residents and staff, and the African American and working-class families who have lived in the neighborhood since the early 1960s.
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "California's 12th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- "Cole Valley neighborhood in San Francisco, California (CA), 94117". City-data.com.
- "Cole Valley". SFGate. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- San Francisco Neighborhoods (Cole Valley)
- Cole Valley Home Page
- Cole Valley Improvement Association (CVIA): includes information on the annual Cole Valley Street Fair, in September.
- SF Station - Cole Valley