Coler Specialty Hospital
|Coler Specialty Hospital|
|NYC Health + Hospitals|
|Location||900 Main Street,
New York, NY, United States
|Network||NYC Health + Hospitals|
|Speciality||Chronic care, physical rehabilitation, geriatrics, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's care|
|Founded||1939 (Welfare Hospital)
1952 (Bird S. Coler Hospital)
|Closed||2013 (Goldwater campus)|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United States|
Coler Specialty Hospital, is a 815-bed chronic care facility on New York City's Roosevelt Island that provides services such as rehabilitation and specialty nursing. The hospital was formed in 1996 by the merger of two separate chronic care hospitals on Roosevelt Island. Goldwater Memorial Hospital, on the south end of the island, closed in 2013, while Bird S. Coler Hospital is still located on the north end of the island.
Goldwater Memorial Hospital opened in 1939 as the Welfare Hospital for Chronic Disease on a 9.9 acre (4.0 hectare) tract just south of the Queensboro Bridge. "...Dr. S.S. Goldwater, Commissioner of Hospital, announced yesterday that Dr. Chrisman G. Scherf, medical superintendent of Metropolitan Hospital, would be medical superintendent of the new hospital on Welfare Island."(timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1939/04/02/95769476.html?pageNumber=29) The hospital, which included a medical library, was named for Dr. S.S. Goldwater, the New York City Hospitals Commissioner responsible for the hospital complex master plan, in 1942. It operated as a center for polio survivors, providing needed long-term care. One of its patients, Harriet Bell lived there from 1954 to 1979 and served on the hospital board as president for four terms, assisting in the drafting of the Patient's Bill of Rights.
Goldwater was built on city-owned land, and shut its doors on December 31, 2013 to provide for the new Cornell NYC Tech campus. The hospital's closure and patient relocation was first announced in 2010, and demolition began in January 2014 with the removal of asbestos.
- "About NYC Health + Hospitals/Coler". NYC Health + Hospitals. 2015. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Jackson, K.T.; Keller, L.; Flood, N. (2010). The Encyclopedia of New York City: Second Edition. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300182576. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "History of Coler-Goldwater Hospital". Archived from the original on 2002-12-07. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Weiner, Florence (1986). No apologies (1st ed.). New York, New York: St. Martin's Press. p. x. ISBN 0-312-57523-8.
- Hog Farm to Prison / Hospital to Tech Campus, Main Street Wire, page 21. "Cornell wins NYC science-campus competition" By Samantha Gross, Associated Press. 19 December 2011
- Main Street Wire.
- JOSEPH DE AVILA and MICHAEL HOWARD SAUL (2011-12-17). "Stanford Drops City Bid". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Photo Essay: Paralyzed Roosevelt Island Residents Face Displacement By Cornell: Gothamist". gothamist.com. Archived from the original on 2015-05-10. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Hospital Patients Forced Out as Roosevelt Island Tech Campus Moves In - Roosevelt Island". DNAinfo.com. Archived from the original on July 4, 2015. Retrieved July 19, 2015.