NYC Health + Hospitals/Coler
|NYC Health + Hospitals/Coler|
|NYC Health + Hospitals|
|Location||900 Main Street, New York, NY, 10044, United States|
|Speciality||Chronic care, physical rehabilitation, geriatrics, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's care|
|Founded||1939 (Welfare Hospital)
1952 (Bird S. Coler Hospital)
|Closed||2013 (Goldwater campus)|
NYC Health + Hospitals/Coler, formerly known as Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital and Nursing Facility, was a 815-bed chronic care facility on New York City's Roosevelt Island that provides services such as rehabilitation and specialty nursing. The hospital was formed in 1996 by the merger of two separate chronic care hospitals on Roosevelt Island. Goldwater Memorial Hospital, on the south end of the island, closed in 2013, while Bird S. Coler Hospital is still located on the north end of the island.
The hospital was renamed in November 2015 as a reflection of its parent organization's rebranding.
Goldwater Memorial Hospital opened in 1939 as the Welfare Hospital for Chronic Disease on a 9.9 acre (4.0 hectare) tract just south of the Queensboro Bridge. The hospital, which included a medical library, was named for Dr. S.S. Goldwater, the New York City Hospitals Commissioner responsible for the hospital complex master plan, in 1942. Goldwater was built on city-owned land, and shut its doors on December 31, 2013 to provide for the new Cornell NYC Tech campus. The hospital's closure and patient relocation was first announced in 2010, and demolition began in January 2014 with the removal of asbestos.
- "About NYC Health + Hospitals/Coler". NYC Health + Hospitals. 2015. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Jackson, K.T.; Keller, L.; Flood, N. (2010). The Encyclopedia of New York City: Second Edition. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300182576. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "History of Coler-Goldwater Hospital". Archived from the original on 2002-12-07. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Gamble, Molly (November 10, 2015). "A new name for NYC Health and Hospitals Corp.: 5 things to know". Becker's Hospital Review. Becker's Healthcare. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Hog Farm to Prison / Hospital to Tech Campus, Main Street Wire, page 21. "Cornell wins NYC science-campus competition" By Samantha Gross, Associated Press. 19 December 2011
- Main Street Wire.
- JOSEPH DE AVILA and MICHAEL HOWARD SAUL (2011-12-17). "Stanford Drops City Bid". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Photo Essay: Paralyzed Roosevelt Island Residents Face Displacement By Cornell: Gothamist". gothamist.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Hospital Patients Forced Out as Roosevelt Island Tech Campus Moves In - Roosevelt Island". DNAinfo.com. Retrieved July 19, 2015.