|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
22 June 1931|
Manchester, Lancashire, England, UK
|Died||24 August 1985(aged 54)|
|Years active||1960s – 1985|
|Notable works and roles||The Comedians, The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club|
From 1974 to 1977 he was also the "club chairman" in another Granada programme, The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club. An attempt by producer Johnnie Hamp to reproduce the atmosphere of the working men's clubs in a television studio, Crompton was famous for ringing a hand-operated fire alarm bell and telling the audience to "give order" when making announcements from "the committee" in between acts. He wrote his own scripts, with occasional additions by Neil Shand. The MC for the show, Bernard Manning, claimed he was cast in the role because he "had been on The Comedians and he had that gormless look about him so he was ideal."
According to Johnnie Hamp: "Colin was criticised by real club chairmen for the way he acted. One actual club chairman wanted to appear and have it out with him on the show. He came along and met Colin, who was dressed in a very good suit, very smart, and here was this man looking more of a caricature than Colin ever did."
A favourite moment during The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club was when he rang his bell to interrupt ventriloquist Ray Alan halfway through his act: "...excuse me Mr. Allen we've had some complaints that they can't quite hear you at the back. Could you hold your dummy a little closer to the microphone please?" This particular joke, like the character of the club chairman itself, owed a heavy debt to the comedian Norman Collier.
- More Best Jewish Jokes, Wolfe Publishing (1970), ISBN 978-0723401650.
- Best West Country jokes, Wolfe Publishing (1970), ISBN 978-0723403906.
- Best nursing jokes (The Wolfe mini ha-ha books), Wolfe Publishing (1970), ISBN 978-0723404200.
- Best motoring jokes (The Wolfe mini ha-ha books), Wolfe (1970), ISBN 978-0723404194.
- Best fishing jokes (The Wolfe mini ha-ha books), Wolfe (1970), ISBN 978-0723404187.
- Best Yorkshire Jokes(Mini-ha-ha Books), Wolfe Pub. (1970), ISBN 978-0723403913.
- Best Seaside Jokes (Mini-ha-ha Books), Mosby-Wolfe (1970), ISBN 978-0723403920.
- Best Newly-wed Jokes, Wolfe (1971), ISBN 978-0723401605.
- Best Office Jokes (Mini-ha-ha Books), Mosby-Wolfe (1973), ISBN 978-0723405184.
- Best After Dinner Jokes, Wolfe Pub. (1973), ISBN 978-0723405191.