19 May 1962|
Sussex, England, UK
25 August 2015 (aged 53)|
Colin Fry (19 May 1962 – 25 August 2015) was an English television personality, medium and Spiritualist minister ordained by United Spiritualists. Fry consistently professed his beliefs as a psychic and garnered a following across his career, whilst critics said his capabilities came from cold reading.
Colin Fry has hosted a number of television programmes dealing with the supernatural, including Most Haunted, Psychic Private Eyes and 6ixth Sense with Colin Fry, produced by Living TV. The presented entertainment were based on basic cold reading techniques.
In April 2015, Fry was diagnosed as being terminally ill with lung cancer. Vowing, "The show must go on" he said, "It is bad news for me personally. But it has made me even more determined to carry on. It gives me a chance to say goodbye to my fans, who have been so loyal to me over the years. I hope they and the theatres will all bear with me. I feel good most of the time. But there will be bad days too. It has been a privilege to be allowed to perform my skills on a national stage and television. I have never taken that for granted and I would like to give something back and say, 'thank you for having me. It has been a real pleasure'". He died on the morning of 25 August 2015, at the age of 53.
Fry, who at one time performed under the stage name of "Lincoln", was exposed in 1992 when during a séance the lights were unexpectedly turned on and he was seen holding a spirit trumpet in the air, which the audience had been led to believe was being levitated by spiritual energy.
- "Double Exposure: An Evening with Colin Fry". Archived from the original on 2006-09-08. Examination of Fry's cold-reading techniques during a live performance.
- "Colin Fry, medium - obituary". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 February 2016. "Sceptics countered that Fry’s main talent lay in basic “cold reading” techniques – the art of analysing body language in order to make high-probability guesses about a person. In 1992 Fry was caught out at a seance when the lights were turned on unexpectedly, revealing that he was still holding a “spirit trumpet” that was meant to be suspended in mid-air."
- Colin Fry: Medium who for more than 30 years entertained and comforted audiences on stage and on television. The Independent.
- "TV psychic Colin Fry dies from lung cancer aged 53". ITV. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "TV medium Colin Fry dies aged 53". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Colin Fry - an evaluation". tonyyouens.com.
- "Desperate Faith". Critical Thinking. Retrieved 29 February 2016.