|Full name||Colin Grzanna|
|Date of birth||5 November 1979|
|Place of birth||Berlin, Germany|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||96 kg (15 st 2 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Colin Grzanna is a German international rugby union player, playing for the Berliner RC in the Rugby-Bundesliga and the German national rugby union team. He is captain and player-coach of his club team and has also captained the German team at times.
Colin Grzanna started playing rugby when he was five years old, in 1984, playing with his South African cousins.
He is currently playing for Berliner Rugby Club, where he also covers a coaching role, together with Gerrit van Look, another player of the German national team.
He filled in as German captain for an injured Jens Schmidt in late 2007 and early 2008. Himself injured later in the year, suffering a broken hand and requiring pins after the game against SC Neuenheim on 13 September 2008, he planned to retire from the national team but, according to his captain Schmidt, he loves the game too much and Germany needs his skills too badly for him to retire.
His greatest success as a national team player was the promotion to Division 1 of the European Nations Cup in 2008. In an interview after the promotion-winning game, which he captained, he stated that, in his opinion, this was the greatest moment in German rugby in almost 30 years.
Grzanna voiced his anger with the image of the game in Germany, where it is often unfairly associated with only being played by rough individuals. He considers it the perfect game, as – he says – there is a position for everybody in the game, regardless of someone's size or height.
Grzanna last played for Germany on 2 May 2009, against Russia, and has since retired from the national team.
Like most of his fellow German team mates, Grzanna is an amateur rugby player and a surgeon by profession. He studied human medicine at the Charite Universitätsmedizin in Berlin from 2000 to 2007 and now works as a consultant surgeon. Apart from German, he is also fluent in English and French.
Colin Grzanna's personal statistics in club and international rugby:
|2008–09||Berliner RC||Rugby-Bundesliga||10||6||2||1||3||4th – Semi-finals|
- As of 30 April 2012
European Nations Cup
|2006–2008||Germany||European Nations Cup Second Division||8||18||Champions|
|2008–2010||Germany||European Nations Cup First Division||4||0||6th – Relegated|
Friendlies & other competitions
- As of 25 February 2010
- Rugby: Fiji assure gold medal in final seconds World Games website, accessed: 27 January 2009
- Favorit unter Druck (German) Der Tagesspiegel – Match report, accessed: 27 January 2009
- Härte, Herzblut, Hoffnung (German) Frankfurter Allgemeine – Article on Jens Schmidt, accessed: 27 January 2009
- German champagne on ice IRB website – Interview with Colin Grzanna, published: 1 May 2008, accessed: 27 January 2009
- Rugby-Bundesliga: Berliner RC mit hohen Zielen (German) Der Tagesspiegel, accessed: 27 January 2009
- Colin Grzanna profile accessed: 27 January 2009
- Colin Grzanna profile at totalrugby.de (German) accessed: 25 February 2010