Colin Jones (American football)
|Born:||October 27, 1987|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Bridgeport (Bridgeport, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 6 / Pick: 190|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
|Player stats at NFL.com · PFR|
Colin Jones (born October 27, 1987) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football at TCU. He went to high school in Bridgeport, Texas and graduated in 2006. He also played for the Carolina Panthers.
|Height||Weight||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|5 ft 11 1⁄2 in
|4.38 s||1.44 s||2.56 s||4.04 s||6.69 s||37 in
|10 ft 4 in
|All values from TCU's Pro Day|
San Francisco 49ers
Throughout training camp, Jones competed for a roster spot as a backup safety and special teams player against Madieu Williams, Curtis Taylor, Chris Maragos, and Anthony West. Head coach Jim Harbaugh named Jones the third free safety on the depth chart to begin the regular season, behind Dashon Goldson and Madieu Williams.
He made his professional regular season debut in the San Francisco 49ers' season-opening 33–17 victory against the Seattle Seahawks. Jones was inactive as a healthy scratch for three games (Weeks 2–4). On December 4, 2011, Jones recorded a season-high two solo tackles in the 49ers' 26–0 win against the St. Louis Rams in Week 13. He finished his rookie season in 2011 with six solo tackles in 13 games and zero starts. The San Francisco 49ers finished first in the NFC West with a 13–3 record and earned a first round bye. On January 14, 2012, Jones appeared in his first career playoff game and recorded two solo tackles during their 36–32 win against the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Wildcard Game. The following week, he made one solo tackle as the 49ers lost 20–17 to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game.
On August 31, 2012, the. San Francisco 49ers traded Jones to the Carolina Panthers for a seventh round pick (243rd overall) in the 2014 NFL Draft. The 49ers used the selection to draft defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey.
Jones was inactive during the Panthers' Week 3 loss to the New York Giants due to an injury. In Week 8, Jones collected a season-high two solo tackles during a 23-22 loss at the Chicago Bears. Jones finished the season with 14 combined tackles (ten solo) in 15 games and zero starts.
His first two years with the team his role was exclusively special teams, but started playing nickel corner and backup free safety in 2014.
On June 18, 2014, Jones signed a two-year contract extension with the Panthers.
On March 7, 2017, Jones signed a two-year contract extension with the Panthers.
On March 11, 2019, Jones signed a two-year contract extension with the Panthers.
The Panthers released Jones on March 16, 2020.
Jones married Briana Lewis on February 18, 2012. They have one son.
- "Colin Jones, DS #13 FS, Texas Christian". DraftScout.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "2011 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Colin Jones drafted by the 49ers Archived May 14, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Spotrac.com: Colin Jones contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Fucillo, David (August 9, 2011). "Initial 49ers Depth Chart Revealed: What To Make Of It". ninersnation.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Ourlads.com: San Francisco 49ers Depth Chart: 09/04/2011". Ourlads.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Colin Jones (2011)". NFL.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Colin Jones (career)". NFL.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Ourlads.com: San Francisco 49ers Depth Chart: 08/01/2012". ourlads.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Silva, Evan (August 31, 2012). "49ers trade Colin Jones to Carolina". NBCSports.com. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Ourlads.com: Carolina Panthers Depth Chart: 09/01/2012". Ourlads.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Langford, Richard (September 18, 2014). "Jonathan Stewart Injury: Updates on Panthers RB's Week 3 Status & Fantasy Value". BleacherReport.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Colin Jones (2012)". NFL.com. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Newton, David (June 18, 2014). "Panthers ink Chandler, 2 others". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- Peters, Micah (October 25, 2015). "Panthers DB Colin Jones collects interception off of Jordan Matthews' butt". USAToday.com. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Henson, Max (March 7, 2017). "Panthers re-sign Colin Jones". Panthers.com.
- Henson, Max (March 11, 2019). "Colin Jones signs two-year contract". Panthers.com.
- "Panthers release safety Colin Jones". Panthers.com. March 16, 2020. Retrieved March 16, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "COA Board of Directors".