||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
|Full name||Colin Monk|
29 September 1967 |
|Walk-on music||I Fought the Law by The Clash|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Semi-Final: 1998, 2002|
|World Masters||Winner 1996|
|World Darts Trophy||Quarter-Final: 2003|
|Int. Darts League||Last 32 Group: 2003|
|Zuiderduin Masters||Last 16 Group: 2000, 2001, 2002|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 64: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010|
|World Matchplay||Last 32: 2004|
|Desert Classic||Last 32: 2009|
|UK Open||Quarter-Final: 2003|
|US Open/WSoD||Last 64: 2007|
|Other tournament wins|
2003, 2008, 2009
Monk won the 1996 Winmau World Masters beating Richie Burnett in the final. His best run in the BDO World Darts Championship came in 1998 and 2002 when he reached the semi-finals. He was also part of what is often cited as one of the all-time great matches at Lakeside in 2003 when he defeated Tony O'Shea in a deciding leg. Since joining the PDC full-time in 2004, he has struggled for form, losing in the first round in 2006, 2007 and 2008. He reached the quarter finals of the 2003 UK Open but was still a WDF member at the time.
Monk's greatest comeback was arguably at the UK Open Darts Championships 2007 when he was 4-7 down to Martin Turner and finally won the match 8-7.
Monk had a hard time in the 2010 Word Professional Darts Championships when he was drawn against Phil Taylor in the first round and lost 3 sets to nil. But during 2009 he became a member of the 9 Dart Club when he had a nine dart finish in the Blue Square UK Open in Barnsley during his 6-1 win over Ray Farrell.
Monk is known for a personal tick in which he opens his mouth every time he throws. 2012 BDO World Champion Christian Kist has drawn comparisons to Monk for having a similar habit. Away from the oche, Monk is a massive Tottenham Hotspur F.C. fan and is married with five children. His son Arron also competes on the PDC Pro Tour and won the first ever New Kids on the Oche event – Nuts TV's last televised darts tournament. He is also a former Under-21 World Champion.
Colin has also won the biggest one-day darts tournament in the UK, the Hampshire Open on 3 separate occasions, in 2003, 2008 and 2009.
World Championship Performances
- 1994: 2nd round (lost to Steve McCollum 1-3)
- 1995: Quarter-finals (lost to Raymond van Barneveld 2-4)
- 1996: Quarter-finals (lost to Andy Fordham 1-4)
- 1997: 2nd round (lost to Paul Williams 1-3)
- 1998: Semi-finals (lost to Raymond van Barneveld 3-5)
- 1999: Quarter-finals (lost to Andy Fordham 3-5)
- 2000: Quarter-finals (lost to Ronnie Baxter 4-5)
- 2001: 1st round (lost to Marko Pusa 2-3)
- 2002: Semi-finals (lost to Mervyn King 1-5)
- 2003: Quarter-finals (lost to Mervyn King 0-5)
- 2004: 1st round (lost to Ted Hankey 2-3)
- 2006: 1st round (lost to Andy Smith 0-3)
- 2007: 1st round (lost to Per Laursen 0-3)
- 2008: 1st round (lost to Denis Ovens 0-3)
- 2010: 1st round (lost to Phil Taylor 0-3)