Colin S. Bruce
Colin Stirling Bruce
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois|
|Assumed office |
October 8, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael P. McCuskey|
Colin Stirling Bruce
September 17, 1965
|Education||University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (B.A.)|
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D.)
Colin Stirling Bruce (born September 17, 1965) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois.
Bruce was born in 1965 in Urbana, Illinois. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1986 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his Juris Doctor in 1989 from the University of Illinois College of Law. He joined the United States Attorney's Office in 1989 and has spent his entire career as an Assistant United States Attorney, prior to his appointment to the bench in 2013. In this time, he prosecuted a broad range of federal criminal cases, including large drug conspiracies, complex frauds and computer related investigations. He also handled civil matters on behalf of the United States. Bruce was First Assistant United States Attorney from 2010 to 2013, supervising all federal criminal investigations, prosecutions and appeals taking place within the Central District of Illinois.
Federal judicial service
On May 6, 2013, President Obama nominated Bruce to be a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael Patrick McCuskey, who took senior status on June 30, 2013. He received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on June 19, 2013, and his nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate on July 18, 2013, by voice vote. The Senate confirmed his nomination on October 7, 2013, by a vote of 96 ayes to 0 nays. He received his commission on October 8, 2013.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Three to Serve on the United States District Court". 30 April 2013.
- "Bruce, Colin Stirling – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 1st Session". www.senate.gov.
- Colin S. Bruce at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Colin Stirling Bruce at Ballotpedia
Michael P. McCuskey
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois