Colin Stetson at the mœrs festival in 2010.
|Born||Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.|
|Genres||jazz, experimental, avant-garde jazz|
|Associated acts||Sarah Neufeld, Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Bell Orchestre, Tom Waits|
|Website||Colin Stetson website|
Colin Stetson is an American saxophonist and multireedist. He is best known as a regular collaborator of the indie rock acts Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, and Bell Orchestre. In addition to saxophone, he plays clarinet, bass clarinet, french horn, flute, and cornet.
Stetson has released a trilogy of solo releases, entitled New History Warfare, a collaborative studio album with violinist Sarah Neufeld, entitled Never Were the Way She Was (2015) and Sorrow, a "reimagining" of Górecki's 3rd symphony (2016).
Born in Ann Arbor, Michigan and currently based in Montreal, Quebec, Stetson attended the University of Michigan School of Music, where he joined Transmission Trio. He also played with the groups Boostamonte and the People's Bizarre.
Stetson has performed and recorded with dozens of artists, including Tom Waits, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Feist, Bon Iver, My Brightest Diamond, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, Jolie Holland, Sinéad O'Connor, LCD Soundsystem, The Chemical Brothers, Animal Collective, The National, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Angélique Kidjo, Kevin Devine, Beanie Burnett, BADBADNOTGOOD,and Anthony Braxton.
His first solo album, New History Warfare, Vol. 1, was released in 2008. His second album, New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges, was released by Constellation Records in early 2011. On June 16, the album was named as a longlisted nominee (one of 40) for the 2011 Polaris Music Prize. On July 6, the album was named as a shortlisted (one of 10) nominee for the 2011 award. Stetson was chosen by Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel to perform at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival that he curated in December 2011 in Minehead, England.
Solo albums/As leader
- Tiny Beast (2003) with Transmission Trio
- Slow Descent (2003)
- New History Warfare Vol. 1 (2007)
- Righteous Wrath 7″ (2010)
- New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges (2011)
- Those Who Didn't Run EP (2011)
- New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light (2013)
- Sorrow (2016)
Collaborations with other artists
With Animal Collective
- Painting With (2016)
With Arcade Fire:
- IV (2016)
With Bon Iver
- Bon Iver, Bon Iver (2011)
With David Gilmour
- Rattle That Lock (2015)
- La Lechuza (2011)
- Metals (2011)
With Jolie Holland
- The Living and the Dead (2008)
With Sarah Neufeld
- The Ridge (2016)
With Timber Timbre
With Tom Waits
With TV on the Radio
- Dear Science (2008)
- Huey, Steve. "Transmission Biography". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Dennis, Zel (February 6, 2012). "Colin Stetson - The History of Warfare Volume 2 - Judges". modernbarisax.com. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "2011 Polaris Music Prize Long List announced". AUX.TV. Retrieved 2016-04-26.
- ATP curated by Jeff Mangum, atpfestival.com; accessed April 19, 2015.
- "Polaris Music Prize Unveils 2013 Long List". Exclaim!, June 13, 2012.
- Lindsay, Zoladz (September 13, 2013). "Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld Talk Blue Caprice Score". Pitchfork. Retrieved December 14, 2015.
- "CST080 ESMERINE: La Lechuza | Constellation Records". cstrecords.com. Retrieved 2016-04-26.