Colin Tatz AO, a Natal University and Australian National University graduate, has been Professor of Politics at the University of New England, Armidale, and at Macquarie University, Sydney. He became the director of the Australian Institute for Holocaust and Genocide Studies.
Colin Tatz was born in South Africa. In 1964 Tatz received his PhD from the Australian National University. He is an author of several books and published articles on race politics, genocide, the Holocaust and antisemitism, and racism in sport.
- Shadow and Substance in South Africa, A Study in Land and Franchise Policies Affecting Africans, 1910–1960 (1962),
- Aborigines in the Economy, edited by Ian Sharp and Colin Tatz (1966),
- Aborigines and Education, edited by S.S. Dunn and C.M. Tatz (1969),
- Black Viewpoints: The Aboriginal Experience, ed. C.M. Tatz (1975),
- Race Politics in Australia: Aborigines, Politics and Law (1979),
- Aborigines and Uranium and Other Essays (1982),
- Aborigines in Sport, Australian Society for Sports History (1987),
- The Royal Sydney Golf Club: The First Hundred Years, with Brian Stoddart (1993),
- Obstacle Race: Aborigines in Sport (1995) - Winner of the Australian Human Rights Award for Non-Fiction,
- Black Diamonds: The Aboriginal and Islander Sports Hall of Fame, with Paul Tatz (1996),
- Genocide Perspectives I, editor-in-chief (1997),
- AFL's Black Stars, with Michael Long (1998),
- One-Eyed: a View of Australian Sport, with Douglas Booth (2000),
- Black Gold: the Aboriginal and Islander Sports Hall of Fame, with Paul Tatz (2000),
- Aboriginal Suicide is Different: a Portrait of Life and Self-Destruction (2001),
- A Course of History: Monash Country Club, 1931 – 2001 (2002),
- Genocide Perspectives II: Essays in Holocaust and Genocide, eds. Colin Tatz, Peter Arnold, Sandra Tatz (2003),
- With Intent to Destroy: Reflecting on Genocide (2003),
- Genocide Perspectives III: Essays in Holocaust and Genocide, eds. Colin Tatz, Peter Arnold, Sandra Tatz (2006),
- Worlds Apart: the Re-Migration of South African Jews, with Peter Arnold and Gillian Heller (2007),
- Genocide in Australia: By Accident or Design? (2011),
- Genocide Perspectives IV: Essays on Holocaust and Genocide, ed. Colin Tatz (2012).
- "Dr. Verwoerd's 'Bantustan' Policy", The Australian Journal of Politics and History, Vol. VIII, No. 1, May 1962, pp. 20.
- "Queensland's Aborigines: Natural Justice and the Rule of Law", The *Australian Quarterly, Vol. XXXV, No. 3, September 1963, pp. 17.
- "Aborigines: Equality or Inequality?", The Australian Quarterly, Vol. XXXVIII, No.1, March 1966, pp. 18. Also distributed under aegis of the Federal Council for Aboriginal Advancement.
- "Four Kinds of Dominion", reprinted in Journal for Contemporary History, The Institute for Contemporary History, Bloemfontein, South Africa, pp. 19. Also reprinted in Patterns of Prejudice, vol.7, no. 2, March–April 1973, pp. 1–8.
- "Aborigines, Law and Race Relations", in Ethnic and Racial Studies, (Routledge and Kegan Paul, London), Vol. 3, No. 3, July 1980, pp. 281–302.
- "Aboriginality as Civilization", The Australian Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 3, Spring 1980, pp. 352–362. Reprinted in Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies Newsletter No. 15, March 1981.
- "The Corruption of Sport", Current Affairs Bulletin, Vol. 59, No. 4, September 1982, pp. 4–16.
- "Aborigines and the Age of Atonement", The Australian Quarterly, Vol. 55, No. 3, Spring 1983, pp. 291–306.
- "Sport in South Africa: The Myth of Integration", The Australian Quarterly, Vol. 55, No. 4, Summer 1983, pp. 405–420.
- "Race, Politics, and Sport", Sporting Traditions, Journal of the Australian Society for Sports History, Vol. 1, No. 1, November 1984, pp. 2–36.
- "Racism, Responsibility and Reparation: South Africa, Germany, and Australia", Australian Journal of Politics and History, Vol. 31, No. 1, 1985 (special issue); also published as a chapter in the book On Being a Jewish Refugee in Australia, Queensland University Press, 1985.
- "Aboriginal Violence: A Return to Pessimism", Australian Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 25, No. 4, November 1990, pp. 245–260.
- "Holocaust and Genocide Education in Australia", Internet on the Holocaust and Genocide, Nos. 51–53, November 1994, pp. 21–24.
- "Racism and Sport in Australia", Race and Class (UK), Vol. 36, No. 4, April–June 1995, pp. 43–54.
- "The Sport of Racism", Australian Quarterly, Vol. 67, No. 1, Autumn 1995, pp. 38–47.
- "The Reconciliation ‘Bargain’", Melbourne Journal of Politics, Vol. 25, June 1998, pp. 1–8.
- "A Remembrance and Reflection on the Holocaust", reply to Cardinal Idris Cassidy, St Thomas More Society & the NSW Society of Jewish Jurists & Lawyers, 29 July 1999
- "Genocide in Australia", Journal of Genocide Research, Vol. 1, No. 3, December 1999, pp. 315–352.
- "Confronting Australian Genocide", in Aboriginal History, Vol. 25, 2001, pp. 16–36.
- "An Essay in Disappointment: the Aboriginal—Jewish Relationship", Aboriginal History, vol. 28, 2004, pp. 100–21.
- "Aboriginal, Maori and Inuit Youth Suicide: Avenues to Alleviation?", in Australian Aboriginal Studies, 2/2004, pp. 15–25.
- "Coming to Terms: Race, Ethnicity and Aboriginality in Sport", Australian Aboriginal Studies, December 2009/2, pp. 15–31.
- "Who Won and Who Cares?: Amnesia in Sport ", Sporting Traditions, November, 2011, pp. 53–63.
- "Aborigines, sport and suicide", in Chris Hallinan & Barry Judd, eds, special edition of Sport in Society: Indigenous People, Race Relations and Australian Sport, Routledge, 2012, pp. 922–935.