Trevorrow at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in December 2015
September 13, 1976 |
San Francisco, California, United States
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Colin T. Trevorrow (// trə-VORR-oh; born September 13, 1976) is an American film director and screenwriter. He is known for directing the indie film Safety Not Guaranteed (2012), the blockbuster film Jurassic World (2015) (which he also co-wrote), and Star Wars: Episode IX, with the latter being slated for a 2019 release.
Trevorrow was born in San Francisco, California, on September 13, 1976, and was raised in Oakland, California. His father was a musician in a country rock band and his mother was a photographer who also operated a day-care center. As a boy, he sang in the chorus of the San Francisco Opera. As a teenager, Trevorrow won awards from the Mill Valley Film Festival and the San Francisco Youth Film Festival. Trevorrow graduated from Piedmont High School in Piedmont, California, and later graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in 1999.
In 2002, he wrote and directed his first short film, Home Base; as of 2012, it had received over 20 million hits online. Trevorrow also directed Reality Show, a 2004 documentary film about the failed production of a reality television show. He continued working as a screenwriter, selling his first spec script titled Tester to DreamWorks in 2006. In 2008, he paired up with Derek Connolly, ten years after they had first met as NYU students while working as interns on Saturday Night Live, to write a buddy cop film script called Cocked and Loaded. Trevorrow said that the experience was so enjoyable that he decided to give up solo screenwriting and work with Connolly.
In 2012, Trevorrow directed Safety Not Guaranteed, a film inspired by a classified advertisement which ran in a 1997 issue of Backwoods Home Magazine that read: "Wanted: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety Not Guaranteed." The script was by Connolly, who intended for Trevorrow to direct it. The film received various accolades, including a nomination for Trevorrow for the Independent Spirit Award for Best First Feature.
After the release of Safety Not Guaranteed, Trevorrow and Connolly were hired by the Walt Disney Company to write a remake of the film Flight of the Navigator (1986); this announcement came after rumors that Trevorrow would be directing Star Wars Episode VII.
On March 6, 2015, it was announced that Trevorrow would be directing a sci-fi thriller film Intelligent Life, which was bought by DreamWorks. Trevorrow wrote the screenplay with Derek Connolly, while Trevorrow, Frank Marshall, Big Beach, and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment would be producers on the film. On February 8, 2016, it was reported that Lupita Nyong'o was in talks to star in the film, with Ava DuVernay expected to direct the film for a summer start. DuVernay left the project over scheduling conflicts.
|2002||Home Base||Yes||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2012||Safety Not Guaranteed||Yes||Yes||No|
|2015||Jurassic World||Yes||No||Yes||Also voiced Mr. DNA|
|2017||The Book of Henry||Yes||No||No|
|2018||Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom||No||Executive||Yes||Filming|
|2019||Star Wars: Episode IX||Yes||No||Yes|
- "Colin T. Trevorrow, born 09/13/1976". California Birth Index. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Trevorrow, Colin (June 7, 2012). "Colin Trevorrow SIFF Interview - Safety Not Guaranteed - The MacGuffin" (Interview). Interview with Spencer Fornaciari. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- "Celebrity Jews". j. (newspaper). Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- Barnes, Brooks (June 3, 2015). "'Jurassic World' Puts Colin Trevorrow in the Driver's Seat". The New York Times. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Douglas, Edward (June 6, 2012). "Interview: Safety Not Guaranteed's Colin Trevorrow & Jake Johnson". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- Blair, Iain (June 1, 2015). "Director's Chair: Colin Trevorrow - 'Jurassic World'". Post magazine. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Teen Filmmakers" (PDF). Discovery Education. 1994. pp. 6, 11. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "Piedmont Arts Center Boasts Successful First Year". Piedmont Civic Association (PCA). January 20, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Sneider, Jeff (February 6, 2012). "Tisch School alum make Sundance impressions". Variety. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- "Colin Trevorrow". Independent Spirit Awards. Archived from the original on December 6, 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Vizcarrondo, Sara Maria (June 12, 2012). "Little Time Machines Everywhere: Director Colin Trevorrow on 'Safety Not Guaranteed'". BoxOffice. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Connelly, Brendon (December 20, 2012). "Safety Not Guaranteed’s Colin Trevorrow On His Old Scripts That Might Yet Get Made". BleedingCool.com. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) penned
- Jones, Alison (January 4, 2013). "Colin Trevorrow has a fresh take on time travelling". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (November 27, 2012). "Disney taps 'Safety' duo for 'Navigator' rewrite". Variety. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Zakarin, Jordan (November 27, 2012). "Colin Trevorrow Tiptoes Around 'Star Wars' Speculation, Looks to the Future". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) penned the script with Derek Connolly and directs
- Kit, Borys (March 30, 2015). "'Jurassic World' Director Colin Trevorrow Tackling 'Book of Henry'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 31, 2016). "Colin Trevorrow's The Book Of Henry to Hit Theaters in September". Deadline. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Gettell, Oliver (August 2, 2016). "Colin Trevorrow's drama Book of Henry delayed until 2017". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Cabin, Chris (July 21, 2016). "'Jurassic World 2' Hawaii Production Gets 2017 Start Date". Collider.com. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Rebecca Ford (July 23, 2015). "'Jurassic World 2' Set for 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Rebecca, Ford (August 15, 2015). "'Star Wars: Episode IX' Sets 'Jurassic World' Director Colin Trevorrow to Helm". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (March 6, 2015). "'Jurassic World' Director Colin Trevorrow Tackling Sci-Fi Thriller 'Intelligent Life' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (February 8, 2016). "Lupita Nyong'o in Talks to Star in Sci-Fi Thriller With Ava DuVernay Eyed to Direct (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 9, 2016.