|Colin Edward Webb
|Born||December 9, 1937|
|Doctoral students||Patrick Gill|
Research and career
After working in laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey, Webb returned to Oxford as a research fellow in physics at the Clarendon Laboratory in 1968, and was appointed to a university lectureship in 1971, becoming Reader in 1990 and Professor in 1992. He served as Head of Atomic and Laser Physics from 1995 to 1999, and became an Emeritus Professor in 2002. Jesus College, Oxford appointed him to a Fellowship in 1973; he became a Senior Research Fellow in 1988 and an Emeritus Fellow in 2005. In 1977, he founded Oxford Lasers.
His publications include (as editor in chief) Handbook of Laser Technology and Applications (2003) as well as various papers on lasers and laser mechanisms in academic journals and specialized books. He has also co-authored a textbook in laser physics in 2010, with Simon Hooker of Oxford.
Webb is considered a pioneer in British laser research and has made significant contributions in the areas of hollow cathode metal-vapor lasers,  copper vapor lasers, copper vapor laser-pumped dye lasers, and excimer lasers.
Awards and honours
Webb was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in 2000. He was awarded the Duddell Medal and Prize in 1985 by the Institute of Physics and delivered the Paterson Lecture of the Royal Society in 1999. He is also a Fellow of the Optical Society of America and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1991
- Gill, Patrick (1975). Charge Transfer as a Laser Excitation Mechanism (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. OCLC 916148756.
- "Professor Colin Webb MBE FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived September 25, 2015)
- WEBB, Prof Colin Edward. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2016 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- C. E. Webb, High-power dye lasers pumped by copper vapor lasers, in High Power Dye Lasers, F. J. Duarte (Ed.) (Springer, Berlin, 1991) Chapter 5. 
- S. Hooker and C. E. Webb, Laser Physics, (Oxford University Press, 2010) 
- Piper, J.A. (1972). "cw laser oscillation in singly ionized iodine". Applied Physics Letters. 21 (5): 203. doi:10.1063/1.1654344.
- Gill, P; Webb, C E (1977). "Electron energy distributions in the negative glow and their relevance to hollow cathode lasers". Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. 10 (3): 299–301. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/10/3/010.
- Caro, R G; Gower, M C; Webb, C E (1982). "A simple tunable KrF laser system with narrow bandwidth and diffraction-limited divergence". Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. 15 (5): 767–773. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/15/5/007.