Coliseum station (Edmonton)
|Edmonton LRT station|
|Owned by||City of Edmonton|
|Website||Coliseum LRT Station|
|Electrified||600 V DC|
Coliseum station is an Edmonton Light Rail Transit station in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It serves the Capital Line. It is located at 78 Street and 118 Avenue, near Northlands Coliseum, and is built on an overpass above 118 Avenue (Alberta Avenue).
The station is one of the original five stations, and opened on April 22, 1978.
Although Coliseum was never a terminus of the LRT line, all trains started and ended their runs at Coliseum when the fleet of LRT rail cars was maintained at the Cromdale garage nearby. The fleet is now housed at the D.L. MacDonald Transit Yard, which was completed in December 1983.
ETS is exploring options to make the station more accommodating during the harsh winter months in Edmonton. An enclosed pedway connecting the station to the Edmonton Expo Centre and a way to "shut in" the station are planned. The station may also be renamed to include "Northlands".
The station has a 124-metre-long (407 ft) centre loading platform that can accommodate two five-car LRT trains at the same time, with one train on each side of the platform. The platform is just under eight metres wide, which is narrow by current Edmonton LRT design guidelines.
The public art for Coliseum Station is a mural entitled "People on the Move" painted by Works 2 Works students.
Around the station
- Edmonton Expo Centre
- Elmwood Park
- K-Days (July)
- Northlands Park
- Northlands Coliseum
Coliseum Transit Centre
|Platforms||13 bus bays|
|Website||Coliseum Transit Centre|
The Coliseum Transit Centre is located on the west side of the LRT station. It is connected to the north end of the station by a pedestrian underpass below the station. This transit centre has few amenities, only having a pay phone. More amenities are available in the neighboring LRT station including washrooms and a snack shop.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Abbottsfield Transit Centre||8, 141, 142|
|Belvedere Transit Centre||10, 99, 125, 512|
|Capilano Transit Centre||99|
|Clareview Transit Centre||10, 512|
|Downtown||5, 8, 512|
|Jasper Place Transit Centre||125|
|Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre||8, 125, 143|
|Lakewood Transit Centre||8|
|Millgate Transit Centre||8|
|Mill Woods Transit Centre||8|
|Stadium Transit Centre||125, 512|
|Waste Management Centre||589|
|Westmount Transit Centre||5, 125|
The above list does not include LRT services from the adjacent LRT station.
School special routes that arrive/depart from Coliseum Transit Centre include routes: 620, 750 and 940.
- "SD160 Light Rail Vehicle" (PDF). Siemens Transportation Systems, Inc. May 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 26, 2010. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "2015 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. April 2016. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "LRT Brochure" (PDF). November 15, 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 4, 2007. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- Kent, Gordon (June 8, 2013). "Enclosed pedway eyed for Coliseum LRT station". Edmonton Journal. Canada.com. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- City of Edmonton (July 2011). "LRT Design Guidelines 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. p. 700. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 1, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Coliseum Station Art". City of Edmonton. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Coliseum Transit Centre Map" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Coliseum Transit Centre". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Coliseum LRT Station". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Brochures in PDF". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "School Service: ETS Trip Planner". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 28, 2017.