|Directed by||Martin Donovan|
|Produced by||Julien Favre, Luca Matrundola, Pascal Vaguelsy, Ted Hope|
|Written by||Martin Donovan|
Melissa Auf der Maur
|Music by||Manels Favre|
|Edited by||Karen Porter|
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film
E1 Entertainment Canada
Donovan also stars in the film, portraying a once-successful playwright, Robert Longfellow, who is taken hostage by an ex-con neighbor while on a routine visit to his childhood home. Two-time Emmy-nominee David Morse plays Gus (the neighbor); a man Robert has avoided since he was a boy. The film also stars Olivia Williams, Melissa Auf der Maur, Katherine Helmond and Eileen Ryan play supporting roles. As the drama unfolds, social status, celebrity and the threat of violence converge, leaving the playwright simultaneously shattered and inspired.
- Martin Donovan ... Robert Longfellow
- David Morse ... Gus
- Olivia Williams ... Emma Stiles
- Melissa Auf der Maur ... Alice Longfellow
- Katherine Helmond ... Irene Longfellow
- Eileen Ryan ... Betty
- Julian Richings ... Maurice LeFont
Awards and nominations
- 46th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (2011)
- 1st Canadian Screen Awards (2013)
DViant Films and This Is That Productions produced Collaborator. The film's score was composed by Manels Favre. The soundtrack also includes a Brahms cover performed by PJ Harvey. Filming took place in Los Angeles, California, as well as Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
As of October 2013, the film has a 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes from 24 reviews.
The New York Times found it "earnest" and "wooden", like a one-act play "in which any visceral tension is secondary to topical debates by a captor and his prisoner". The Los Angeles Times found it "disappointing" and "somber", failing to generate any tension from its thriller elements.
The Globe and Mail awarded it 2.5/5; Adam Litovitz criticised some stagy elements but praised the film as a study of character. The New York Post praised the performances, saying "both characters are riveting".
- "Prizes of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2011". 9 July 2011.
- "'Restoration' wins at Karlovy Vary". Variety. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Canadian Screen Award nominations". CBC News. 15 January 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Collaborator". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Holden, Steven (July 5, 2012). "Collaborator (review)". New York Times.
- Goldstein, Gary (July 19, 2012). "Collaborator (Review)". LA Times. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Litovitz, Adam (Jul 13, 2012). "A dark buddy tale for the mancession". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Smith Nehme, Farran (July 6, 2012). "Collaborator". New York Post. Retrieved 22 October 2013.