The collared pratincole or common pratincole (Glareola pratincola) is a wader in the pratincole family, Glareolidae. The genus name is a diminutive of Latin glarea, "gravel", referring to a typical nesting habitat for pratincoles. The species name pratincola means an inhabitant of meadows, from Latin pratum, prati, "meadow" and incola, "inhabitant", from incolere, "to inhabit".
This pratincole is 24–28 cm (9.4–11.0 in) long with a 60–70 cm (24–28 in) wingspan. It has short legs, long pointed wings, a long forked tail, and a short bill, which is an adaptation to aerial feeding. The back and head are brown, and the wings are brown with darker flight feathers. The belly is white. The underwings are chestnut, but look dark below.
Very good views are needed to distinguish this species from other pratincoles, such as the black-winged pratincole and the oriental pratincole, which may occur in its range. The latter species also has a chestnut underwing, but is shorter-tailed.
- G. p. pratincola, (Linnaeus, 1766): Southern Europe & North Africa to Pakistan
- G. p. fuelleborni, (Neumann, 1910): Sub-Saharan Africa
This species lays 2–4 eggs on the ground.
Distribution and habitat
The collared pratincole is a bird of open country, and is often seen near water in the evening, hawking for insects. It is found in the warmer parts of Europe, southwest Asia and Africa. It is migratory, wintering in tropical Africa, and is rare north of the breeding range.
Status and conservation
The collared pratincole is one of the species to which the Agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA) applies.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Glareola pratincola". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Jobling, James A (2010). The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. London: Christopher Helm. pp. 174, 315–6. ISBN 978-1-4081-2501-4.
- "Coursers, noddies, gulls, terns, auks and sandgrouse". International Ornithological Congress. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glareola pratincola.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Glareola pratincola|
- Collared pratincole media at the Internet Bird Collection
- Collared pratincole photos at Oiseaux.net
- Glareola pratincola in the Flickr: Field Guide Birds of the World
- Ageing and sexing (PDF; 1.4 MB) by Javier Blasco-Zumeta & Gerd-Michael Heinze (Spanish)
- Collard pratincole species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds.
- BirdLife species factsheet for Glareola pratincola
- Glareola pratincola on Avibase
- Collared pratincole photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Glareola pratincola at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Collared pratincole on Xeno-canto.