Theatrical Poster for Collective Invention
|Revised Romanization||Dolyeon Byeoni|
|Directed by||Kwon Oh-kwang|
|Produced by||Kim Woo-sang|
|Screenplay by||Kwon Oh-kwang|
|Starring||Lee Kwang-soo |
|Music by||Jeong Hyun-soo|
|Edited by||Kim Hye-kyeong |
Woo Sang Film
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Box office||US$1.6 million|
Collective Invention (Korean: 돌연변이; RR: Dolyeon Byeoni; lit. Mutant) is a South Korean black comedy film written and directed by Kwon Oh-kwang. It is about a hapless fish-man's meteoric rise to celebrity and subsequent fall from grace. The film was screened in the Vanguard section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival.
A medical experiment gone wrong and a man mutates due to side effects from an experimental drug administered to him, turning him into a fish-man. When his supposedly girlfriend posts the story of her 'fishy' boyfriend on the internet, a wannabe reporter starts digging for the truth, covering the news about the mutant fish-man.
- Lee Kwang-soo as Park Gu
- Lee Chun-hee as Sang-won
- Park Bo-young as Ju-jin
- Jang Gwang as Gu's father
- Lee Byung-joon as Dr. Byun
- Kim Hee-won as Lawyer Kim
- Jung In-gi as Dong-sik
- Choi Ji-ho as Chairman's assistant
- Im Seong-mi as Assistant Jeon Go-woon
- Myung Kye-nam as Chairman
- Oh Chang-kyeong as Pseudo-pastor
The film was number five on its opening weekend, with ₩578 million.
Awards and nominations
|2016||3rd Wildflower Film Awards||Best New Director (Narrative Films)||Kwon Oh-kwang||Nominated|
- Ma, Kevin (26 October 2015). "The Phone rings up South Korea box office". Film Business Asia. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Kim, June (21 November 2014). "LEE Kwang-soo to Become a MUTANT". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Baek, Byung-yeul (25 October 2015). "Collective Invention, wry portrayal of Korean society". The Korea Times. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Won, Ho-jung (4 November 2015). "Herald Interview: Lee Chun-hee - Mutant movie shows hardships of being ordinary". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Fulvi, Giovanna. "Collective Invention". TIFF. Archived from the original on 14 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Gates, Jamie (11 August 2015). "Toronto Film Festival Adds 60+ Titles, Including Janis Joplin Doc and Gillian Armstrong's Women He's Undressed". IndieWire. Archived from the original on 11 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Conran, Pierce (23 March 2016). "3rd Wildflower Film Awards Unveil Nominees". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Collective Invention at the Korean Movie Database
- Collective Invention on IMDb
- Collective Invention at HanCinema
|This South Korean film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 2010s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|